Attacked before Stellenbosch & gun pointed at me..

MCDreyer

Firstly, this is not intended to create any feelings of hate towards anyone but rather as a warning to all to be careful when riding and for the community to be aware of these things and to take action against it.

Saturday 07h50 about 500m before the camera as you enter Stellenbosch:

Three of us were riding towards Stellenbosch approaching two guys walking next to the road. As we got close to them I saw a stick/pole in ones? hand, a sudden movement and I knew something was wrong. I ducked as I thought the guy was going to hit me but instead he pushed the pole into my rear wheel and I came down at about 40-45km/h sliding on the tar.

It all happened very fast, I got up to my feet immediately and one of them were running towards me with a pistol in his hand pointing at me. I saw some cars approaching and decided NOT to let go of my bike, picked it up and ran in the other direction. Two cars pulled of the road and the guy decided let go and ran into the field towards Cloetesville.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here?s the irony?

Although we were 3 male riders on a busy road they still attacked me and pointed a gun towards me ? seen by all who stopped including an ADT vehicle.

They then ran away but stopped about 200m into the field standing there and waiting for about a minute before disappearing into the trees.

These guys are so arrogant as no-one is able to do anything to stop them.

We spoke to a coloured person there who was hit on the head by this same person with the pistol about 20 minutes earlier and his wallet stolen from him. After that they still had the audacity to do this very close to where they already caused trouble.

wow! that must have been terrible, good you ok, well appart from the fall.

very sad they going to these lengths now for bikes hey.

I see by your signature that you know who had your back.

Damage:

Carbon frame cracked at rear stay.

Sram Force jockey broken and left STI cracked.

Rear wheel spokes broken and rim buckled.

Myself - only some very sore roasties but nothing broken or too much bruised.

Damage:

Carbon frame cracked at rear stay.

Sram Force jockey broken and left STI cracked.

Rear wheel spokes broken and rim buckled.

Myself - only some very sore roasties but nothing broken or too much bruised.

EINA OuchOuchOuch

Had a fall at that pace 2 weeks ago so I know what it feels like Ouch

Heal up soon dude!

Glad you're OK Vaste... man I cannot believe the audacity of these okes. Justice means nothing now days.

I know someone who can fix your frame. He did mine after Simonsvlei and it's 100%

Get well soon.

I see by your signature that you know who had your back.

Jip, and also the reason I'm able to forgive this oke. I hope he would come to  realize the wrongness of his actions and would pray for him to be convicted in his heart.

Glad you're OK Vaste... man I cannot believe the audacity of these okes. Justice means nothing now days.

I know someone who can fix your frame. He did mine after Simonsvlei and it's 100%

Get well soon.

Thanks Tarmac. Was at CWC on Saturday and seems the frame can be replaced under warrenty. For the rest (including my gear), we'll see what the insurance says.

Glad you are okay Vaste.

We all ride that road so often... seems like the safest place to train is at the VelodromSmile

But seriously... what can we do?

Good to hear you are ok.  Also good of you to tell the story, it creates awareness which has its own way of avoiding unnecessary situations for others...

Glad you are okay Vaste.

We all ride that road so often... seems like the safest place to train is at the VelodromSmile

But seriously... what can we do?

Thanks MariusL - while we were standing there after what happened, a lot of cyclists came past us. Big groups, single riders, etc. I can't believe they picked 3 riders in a group on such a busy road.

Crazy stuff.