UST sidewall patching?

quickdraw

Howdy

I seemed to have klapped something quite hard, the result being about a 35mm gash in the outer rubber section of my Kenda Karma UST sidewall.

The question is - the cut is just through the outer rubber bit and not the threaded section, the tire has not lost any air, the cut is just above the bead - could I just remove the tire and place a rubber patch (old school patch and solutions style) on the inside of the tire and still safely use it?

I discovered a nice glue for tyres. It's the stuff they use for finger nails. You can buy it at Beauty Value stores for R10 a bottle. I've mended all the little slits in my road tyres and it seems to hold pretty well. Don't know if it is different to normal super glue but it does work better.

pratley make a product called wonderfix(comes in black or clear)

u mix two parts together and it hardens into a flexible epoxy. i have repaired many ust tires with it and it works perfectly.

around r30 for the box at any hardware store

Clean the area on the inside of the tire properly with sandpaper until the rubber is rough. Put some vulcanising fluid on the area and set it alight for about 3 seconds. Put a patch, used in car tubes,  twice the size on the damaged area, like you would patch a tube. Dont set the house on fire.

The old-school patch is bit too stretchy I think. I use a patch cut from an old UST tyre with a thin sidewall, ie. Hutchinson, and superglue that to the inside to reinforce it.

I has a similar gash in the place you describe it, it happened when I tried to clear a ditch and the back wheel hit the edge of the ditch (it was dark, saw it too late). I guess the tyre was also running a bit low on pressure (a kenda sml-block8). I'm still riding that tyre as a backup/training/close to home at times.

Thanks for all the options - think I am gonna try the wonderfix on the outside with a car tube patch on the inside. quickdraw2010-06-07 03:22:51

just don't buy superglue at the side of the road, it's rubbish. The real stuff ,cyanoacrylate, sticks like mad!!!