TIP - MTB Tubeless on the go repairs

NotSoBigBen

Some of you may know my stance on tubeless being 'a wolf in sheeps clothing'! Yes I do still ride tubeless as I still think the risk/incidence of punctures is way less. Having said that when it goes wrong it's ugly !!!!

You have to get the tyre off, remove the tubeless rim strip, many of you will know it's amazing how much Stans/Joes there is still in the tyre even though it wouldn't seal! It gets all over the wheel, your gloves/hands, clothes everything.

Recently while at a bike shop I bought a tubeless repair kit. Consists of like a big sewing needle with a small screwdriver type handle and then a couple of snotty looking strands on a 'card'. Dropped it in my emergency spares bag and forgot about it.

This past Saturday we are riding along merrily with some mates from our club and one of the youngsters gets one of those 'unsealable' holes in his tubeless. Quick as a flash I whip out this little kit, push one of the snot strings through (it sort of cuts apart and only the needle thing comes out leaving the string in!) and hey presto (ja not presta!) it seals. Pump up and off we go not another phhsssfftt from that hole!

They say if it's a bit of a bigger hole put in 2 strings!

Hope this tip may save someone that sealant all over experience. OK so if it's a sidewall cut you're still on your own!

Scotty - please please no yestubes today!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! I also bought one and put it in my spares kit, and got to use mine on Sunday.

Only problem was I bent the valve... third one in 2 weeks!!

Have been carrying around one in my camelbak for the past couple of months. Fortunately have never needed to use it.

Used the same - They work fantastically!

Had a really big hole, used four and they sealed it right up!starclassic2007-07-31 07:16:44

Thanks for the tip BigBen

I have been riding tubeless since January and must say that I have not punctured once.  I have been lugging my spare tube with me all this time, but I think im gonna take your advice and rather carry the sealing kit.

OK so if it's a sidewall cut you're still on your own!

Just use maxxis crossmark LUST then you wont get sidewall cuts.

Hey! I also bought one and put it in my spares kit' date=' and got to use mine on Sunday.

[/quote']

ya, you got to use yours ... only 'cos you pulled out that other plug that was in your tyre ... blonde! LOLLOLLOL

OK so if it's a sidewall cut you're still on your own!

Just use maxxis crossmark LUST then you wont get sidewall cuts.

Have been using the non LUST ones till now but have been taking stick from my LBS so am having the LUST's fitted at the moment for the Eston Drifter this weekend. BTW they aint cheap! Will retire those non LUST ones to the training wheels with tubes.

Have been a Crossmark convert since they first came out, converted from the Larsen TT's. 

I carry the repair kit, a tube and a normal puncture repair kit. Bit of a scout mate!

At the Winter Challenge I had a sidewall cut [and then blow-out] on the 2nd lap and had to fit a tube. Easier said than done !! .. broke my tyre lever trying to get the tubeless tyre off. It took a lot of effort to get the tyre off/on. My fingers were in more pain than my legs Ouch . Any tips on making this easier ?

You first have to pull the tyre away from the rim . Stans or whatever sealant you use tends to really glue the tyre to the rim . Grab the tyre on both sides close to the bead and pull them together . The tyre should seperate from the rim , now if you get your tyre lever in there it is much easier to get tyre of . It also works if you grab the top of the tyre and pull it really hard to one side , do this at 12 ,3,6 and the 9o'clock positions .

Big Ben I also still got my tube and punture repiar kit with me whenever I race . I hate walking !

MARUNI HAVE A NEW PLUG SYSTEM THAT IS EVEN EASIER TO USE AND MORE EFFECTIVE. AVAILABLE SOON AT YOUR LOCAL LBS

SM

Gotit. Cool thks. I reckon since its pretty useless to use a tube with a tubeless puncture - This will do the trick. Looks light as well.

Beware not to go completely flat to the rim or you wil struggle with seating the tyre again - specifically without high pressure when out on a ride.

Or is this product only intended for use with high air pressure at hand?

Meaning that you actually HAVE to take the tyre off the rim? 

Scotty - please please no yestubes today!

LOLOne day later so i'm ok.

I was looking at those on Sat then got one of these instead Big%20smile

20070801_054612_genius.jpg

• 1 month later...

How long do these tubeless repairs last?

i.e. is this just a get you home fix and you replace the tyre asap. or do you keep on using the tyre normally?