winter jacket

RABUBI

I basically start traininf during the week at 4:45, and look like a telytubby after putting on about 5 layers of clothing.

- mr price long sleeve top

- cycling shirt

- short sleeve wind jammer

- long sleeve cycling shirt

- mr price long sleeve bright rain jacket to be visible

What is a good winter jacket, and how much do they go for?

In the heart of winter I normally wear

Due South long sleave thermal undershirt

Cape Storm long sleeve top or short sleeve top with set of thermal arm warmers.

Cajess R250 chinese cycling jacket (some places available for R150)

I sometimes use a base and armwarmers with a normal top, sometimes if it's very cold or when it's raining I add a Capestorm windbreaker.

If it's freakin freezing I use an Adidas Adistar CP Storm jacket. Even with just a baselayer it's sometimes too hot due to it being completely waterproof and thus not breathable. So, I inevitably end up riding with the zip halfway down. It vents pretty well that way.

Not what I paid, but when I got it 3yrs ago they were about R1700 I think.

I find the Cape Storm reflective yellow cycling jacket adequate. Compression top + short sleeve cycle jersey underneath.

I don't think you guys from the colony has felt a real winter yet. I think it get's a bit colder up here then down there.

Ja Para, I figured, but that Adidas jacket might just be the thing he needs.

I actually think it's too hot for the Cape. I've only used it about 6 or 7 times in 3yrs and only once was I actually not too hot...that was when I was crossing a big, open, logged, clearing up in the mountains in Grabouw with a proper Cape wind(not like the breeze you guys get up there) and in driving rain.

Talking about clothing for the correct region. I've got a Cannondale balaclava that I bought from CRC. It's is a thin thing made from what looks like Windtex. It is too hot for early morning rides. I think we will never survive in a northern hemisphere winter.

thanks for the feedback.

I can get a "cranck it" jacket for a good price, any opinion on these?

The CapeStorm softshell vest is my life-saver, worn under a windshell or a serious weather-proof jacket in extreme conditions (Malutis in winter on the Freedom Challenge). I like the Vantage from Capestorm. http://www.capestorm.co.za/products/detail/18?cat=14&activity=30

And a Sealskinz skullcap to keep head and ears warm. http://www.sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/KJ631||~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|53|