Winter Tyres for WC

covie

So just wanted to know whats your choice for winter tyres in the Western Cape for MTB'ing.

Tubed or tubeless?

I would have suggested the tried, tested tires that you cant go wrong with, Nevegals too. (depending on sealant these can bubble)

I have tubed atm, will switch to a conversion next month, at the moment running maxxis crossmarks but they are brilliant in the dry, but tend to capture every possible grain of sand and mud in the wetter conditions.

Conti Mountain King 2.2(non-tubeless) front and rear.

Very comfortable with excellent grip.

Very happy with them.

So just wanted to know whats your choice for winter tyres in the Western Cape for MTB'ing.

Answer the following first please:

HT or Duallie (Indication of travel) and what is your riding style ... light trail useage, heavy trail usage or endurance rider?

conti mountain king is the way to go. Keep it on the front for summer and use the Crossmarks on the rear during summer.

yup..Hairy you got it.  HT vs FS?? for the tire volume?

Covie, there has been many of these threads over the last year, shouldnt be difficult to find answers.

Yeah boss there has been loads about tires on the forum, but I am specifically asking about people using tires that work well in winter conditions in the western cape.

So far the verdict runs towards

conti mountain kings

kenda nevegal

Thats all I wanted to know, so ill go get a set of each based on the good advise of fellow hubbers :)

I assume you are referring to the Saguro's and Mezcals:

Excellent tyre for summr and if you want to go do Epic and any race in the Small Karoo where you have alot of hard-pack and rocky technical sections. Best side wall in the business and the slightly higher volume of the tyre adds traction and comfort. 

Not my first choice during winter where a softer tyre with a wider tread pattern assists with shedding mud and traction. Will be on my bike for Trans Bav in August unless it is wet.

seems Geax is not loved on the hub

Love my saguarros, better when it's drier tho.

Got some Sturdys to try out as well

What type of riding do you do and where do you ride?

Do you ride sgl track or just jeep?

What bike do you ride?

Howdi Crow, just a normal HT, and mostly singletrack/jeeptrack riding, at Jonkers, Oak Valley, Majic etc.