As the dust settles...

Windbreaker

Rasmussens story.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/?id=/features/2007/tour_rasmussen_post07

For those not interested in reading the full story-

He has not been on the Danish team since 2004, doesn't have a Danish license so he questions how the Danish Cycling Union can claim that he missed two tests. I guess the same as if the CSA had to claim that Robbie H was unavailable for two test in South Africa during the month of June??

He admits that he was rightfully warned by the UCI for failing to submit his schedule (1 of 6 Rabobank boys) n March 2006. No comment on the other instance which I assume was in the run up to the Tour. But that is only 2 warnings which is NOT ENOUGH to warrant any action.

If that is the long and short of the full story then he does appear to have a strong case. Interesting that he makes comments about disqualifying riders until there is a French winner. I wonder how much weight that factor plays in the behind the scenes politics??

"It is highly reprehensible that a race director feels that he has the right

to kick riders out of the competition and 'choose' the winner himself," responded

Rasmussen when asked about ASO pressuring Rabobank into its decision. "Meaning,

if he wanted to, he could attack Contador, attack Evans and ... so maybe a Frenchman could be on the podium..."

I really wonder how they would have dealt with a win by Leipheimer. I'm still expecting at least one positive test within the next few days ...

And just for the eternal cycnics - he doesn't provide "spin" responses to the questions.

Asked if he had ever doped, Rasmussen flatly responded with a "no, absolutely

not"

Windbreaker2007-07-31 15:17:26

if he really wants to shut everyone up why doesn't he produce his passport and prove he was in Mexico during the Giro d Italia

I don't think that he is going to argue that point. But the rules say that he can't be sanctioned for only 2 such offences. Same as if you think that you can get a diploma for passing 40 out of 45 (whatever) modules and when you turn up for your certificate they tell you that they decided yesterday that you actually need 42. You only failed 5 so when did the rules change?? Also how many of your buddies got their certificates for only 40 modules??

"There are a lot of other riders in Denmark and on the National Team with warnings

that the public knows nothing about," claimed Rasmussen. "So once again, a remarkably

special treatment has been carried out."

Windbreaker2007-07-31 15:30:22

He forgot to mention about the time he asked an MTB "friend" to takes some shoes to Italy for him.

When the guy chucked the box out to save space, bottle of drugs fell out the shoes. So not only was he into it back  then already, he was also willing to shaft another rider to get his fix...

if he really wants to shut everyone up why doesn't he produce his passport and prove he was in Mexico during the Giro d Italia

I thought he rode in the Giro 'D Italia this year for training ?

He did but I think they may be talking about sometime earlier, maybe March ?

Not sure but anyway he was bust by Davide Cassani who said he had seen R training in Italy.

The guy actually said it to show how dedicated R was but unfortunately didn't know that R had said to his team that he was in Mexico at the time .

This was then picked up by the Danish TV and the rest is history...

He forgot to mention about the time he asked an MTB "friend" to takes some shoes to Italy for him.

When the guy chucked the box out to save space' date=' bottle of drugs fell out the shoes. So not only was he into it back  then already, he was also willing to shaft another rider to get his fix...
[/quote']Sure, all the stories mount up but the organisations liek ASO, UCI, WADA etc can't just ignore there own rules & procedures. If it is 3 warnings before you can take action then that's it. Change the rules properly if they fail to achieve the goals but you can't just ignore them. The UCI and TdF will say that it was his own team that pulled him and they had nothing to do with the decision. Ja sure, like they expect anyone to believe that the team would pull the yellow jersey without good cause. ASO & Tdf leaned on Rabobank big time!

Anyway I'm just presenting what Rasmussen is saying.

I'm all for sorting the problem out but it must be done in a transparent manner. The UCI, ASO WADA LNDD & L Equipe goings on are far from transparent.

If anyone believes that they have anything other than their own interests at the top of the list then they are dreaming.

Of course the best placed Frenchman was also kicked off the Tour - had nothing to do with his own indiscretions though.  Kinda poors cold water on the winner manipulation theory.  Fact is Rabobank fired Rasmussen.  If he has a case he will contest that legally.  My guess is he won't.

Also worth noting that Rasmussen is required to appear give his location to Danish authorities as he made himself available for Danish national team selection.  Hunter is also required to be where he says he will be should Drug Free Sport in SA decide to test him (at their expense, at the location where he reports to the UCI he will be).  The Danes travelled to where Rasmussen was meant to be to perform the tests but found him unavailable hence the two warnings.  WADA, under the auspices of the UCI, did the same twice on different dates.  The 4 missed tests do not constitute a positive test at this stage as the UCI and Danish federation run separate tally's but only a fool would fail to see this is just a technical loophole.  And one that the UCI is planning to remedy in the rules for 2008.

Fact is Rabobank fired Rasmussen same as Astana was invited to withdraw. I don't for a minute believe that there is a conspiracy to manipulate the situation to get a French winner but I am questioning what role the pressure to get a French winner is playing in the murky, behind the scenes politics. Do you think that a "French Rasmussen" would have received the same treatment?

And talking of technical loopholes. Next time that you see the blue flash but don't get a fine in the post drive straight to the nearest traffic department and fork out your R800 bucks. It's a technical loophole that prevented you getting the fine in the first place. The reason you never got the fine is because it can't be proven that you were speeding. Only a fool would argue that you should have to pay the fine. Hey, I was in the car just behind you and I saw you speeding but that's just not good enough. Right??