Hanging bikes

MichaelH

Because of my living conditions I have no option but to hang my bikes from the front wheel.

Since I had my fork serviced the hydraulic fluid is constantly dripping from the top of the fork!!! I have it on good authority that the seals must have been damaged when they were replaced...or maybe the old seals were simply put back. I am inclined to believe the latter, since the bike was at my LBS for almost a month waiting for a kit to arrive. They arrived miraculously on the day that I said they must give me a loan fork because I was going on leave and I wanted my bike!!!

What do I do now??? How do I resolve this dilemma? Any advice please...

Because of my living conditions I have no option but to hang my bikes from the front wheel.

Since I had my fork serviced the hydraulic fluid is constantly dripping from the top of the fork!!! I have it on good authority that the seals must have been damaged when they were replaced...or maybe the old seals were simply put back. I am inclined to believe the latter, since the bike was at my LBS for almost a month waiting for a kit to arrive. They arrived miraculously on the day that I said they must give me a loan fork because I was going on leave and I wanted my bike!!!

What do I do now??? How do I resolve this dilemma? Any advice please...

You don't need to call their bluff. Fact is, the seal leaks and it has to be replaced. Finish and klaar.

In someone's defence, I'll say that I've had an out-of-box failure on a seal once. The other nice scenario is that the mechanic could have, inadvertently, damaged the (new) seal. These things happen.

If you really want to call their bluff, have someone open the fork into a clean container, noting the colour and condition of the oil. Then have the seal inspected and foam ring squeezed out onto a clean paper towel. That will leave a brown stain of evidence should it be old stuff. The seal itself is easy to inspect, even on the bike. Look carefully at it in good light whilst manipulating it with a pick or match. You'l notice little cracks in the rubber. That's a sure sign of an old seal.

Or shall we take this further and turn it into a Carte Blanche Scambuster episode?

...by the way, I was told that you can't just do a simple inspection of the fork. Once you have opened things up you have to replace everything...you can't just put the old stuff back! Is this true?

...by the way, I was told that you can't just do a simple inspection of the fork. Once you have opened things up you have to replace everything...you can't just put the old stuff back! Is this true?

LOL

whomever you are chatting with.. stop chatting to them ;)

LOL

whomever you are chatting with.. stop chatting to them ;)

...straight from the experts at my LBS (a well-known outlet!) :unsure:

It is not true but I can understand why bike shops say that. I'll explain.

If there is nothing wrong with the seals and the fork has to be opened for an oil change or otehr minor fix, they can be re-used. The fact that the fork was opened doesn't instantly render them useless. However, the scenario is usually like this:

Bike Shop Maitre'd: Does the fork leak oil from the seals?

Customer: Noooooo. I just want it serviced.

BSM'd: OK, I'll give it to our mackie to do like that then. We won't change the seals and you will save R280-00

Customer: Great, can you just filter the oil and re-use this too? (seeing the look on the BSM'd's face he quickly adds: Rhetoric question. Only joking.

One hour later:

Mackie: Boss, I just openend this fork and there is no oil in there. No wonder it doesn't leak, it has already leaked everything out.

BSM'd: Oh damn! I've already told the customer that he won't have to buy new seals. He was bitchin' about the price and I thought....

Mackie: OK, I will put it together, but you better pray that it doesn't leak. No use me praying, I'm an atheist.

BSM'd: OK, then just hold thumbs. I can't force you to pray, I s'ppose.

Two Weeks later:

Customer. I ride the bike for the first time after the fork was serviced here two weeks ago and the oil is streaming out.

BSM'd: Who did you speak to?

And so on.

The risk for the bike shop is big and therefore they usually recommend you put in new seals. I've been conservative in the past but I'm leaning to this approach too, especially with out-of-town jobs where the transport adds R500 to the overall job.