Poor medical aid cover for pro SA cyclists?

epoh

I read in the 24.com article posted on the Ryan Cox thread about the lack of medical aid cover for pro SA cyclists??! Is this true? Without medical aid in SA, a pro contract is not worth it.

Can CSA not force the teams/sponsors to at least have decent medical aid cover for their riders?

Article I am referring to => http://www.24.com/sport/?p=SportArticle&i=614026

epoh2007-08-01 09:48:17

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nee, daar word nie in mediese fonds ENIGE onderskeid tussen man, vrou, wit, swart, fietsryer, landmynuithaeler, siek of gesond gemaak nie. So hulle praat tjol.  Jy kan maksimum 'n 12 maande uitsluiting op 'n bestaande kondisie kry. Discovery sal jou in die buiteland ook dek so  lank jou nou nie irak of so plek toe gaan nie. 

Medical Aid is sometimes a question of financial priorities with people, while it is available to all, the cost of a comprehensive package is often prohibitive

Guest colonel

Maybe he never took a "premier" type of Medical aid package thinking that the team has its own Doctors that will be able to help with basic stuff and never thought he would be in a situation like this?? I dont think CSA can implement such a med aid system it is up to you as a person/rider to cover yourself and for your own well being.

baie groot woorde wolverine!

ek gebruik hulle maar vroeg in die oggend, teen vanmiddag is dit een lettergreep

ek gebruik hulle maar vroeg in die oggend' date=' teen vanmiddag is dit een lettergreep
[/quote']

ek doen nou al een lettergrepe. teen vanmiddag brom ek net!

Maybe he never took a "premier" type of Medical aid package thinking that the team has its own Doctors that will be able to help with basic stuff and never thought he would be in a situation like this?? I dont think CSA can implement such a med aid system it is up to you as a person/rider to cover yourself and for your own well being.

Think you're on to something here Colonel

As an aside I was looking at taking out life and disability cover with one of the big life assurers and it turns out because I ride more than 3 hours a week I am classified as a professional athlete and as such had a serious premium loading. Something we may not take into account and could be an issue at claim time if it is a cycling related accident that caused the death/disability

I dont think CSA can force teams to have a medical aid. CSA can negotiate a package for all riders that is suitable and affordable for the riders.

Maby there should be a "union" that can do it on behalf of all riders.

Rupert Rheeder is also in PTA Academic because of the lack of a medical aid. The care that he recieves there is excelent by the way.

The CSA clearly prefers it's spend on other issues than the very one that protects the commodity that keeps them going?!

ek gebruik hulle maar vroeg in die oggend' date=' teen vanmiddag is dit een lettergreep
[/quote']

ek doen nou al een lettergrepe. teen vanmiddag brom ek net!

Ou KNORTAND!!Big%20smile

Ryan did not have any medical aid. Although they get paid a fair salary medical aids are very expensive.

Guest colonel

Well that answers that then, why the hell didnt he have any med aid? No offence atall here as I dont knwo why he never took it out but that is stupid atleast have a measly hospital plan??

Considering the risk of cycling, and the various prohibitive measures in terms of medicine (dope) the UCI enforces on pro cycling, I think that it is only reasonable that evry pro team has a doctor, or at least a corporate "team" medical aid or support. I think it is unreasonable and plain criminal to expect a cyclist to enter a grand tour without sufficient back up. Also these guys are being paid to be in top form so there is an onus on the employer to ensure that there is sufficent support for this aim. (It is almost like an Army not training its soldiers in firearms).

Thx Colonel, I was thinking the same thing, why don't every one at least have a Hospital plan. The thing that piss me of is ppl get into accidents and then they don't have any type of cover, THEN we as fellow cyclists are ask to help out by buying some stupid sh*t raffle tickets to win some piece of crap, wtf?!?!?

No disrespect to any one.