Rider weight and wheels

mark ellis

in the process of putting the final bits together for a new build, got some?? with wheels

Looking to spend about 5-6K all in, without tires

I weigh about 94kg's.

Is there a particular type of spoke layout i should avaid being a heavier rider?

Was looking at Fulcrum Red metal 5 but not sure if they have a weight limit?

what wheels would you suggest?
mark ellis2010-06-09 05:12:34

I weighed 96kg when i had my wheels built and never had hassles and still don't.

Shimano XT hubs

Mavic XC 717 disc rims 32 hole

DT Swiss spokes

I also weigh 94kgs and just fitted Fulcrum 3`s and they are awesome. Did the monster with them and no hassels. If you in Gauteng give Northcliff cycles a call as your budget will get you the 3`s

Mavics are strong-never had a problem, and road every race in SA on them for the last 3 yrs!

Not a fan of the hub on xt wheels.

Also don't go ZTR rims way too soft for you.

Mavics are strong-never had a problem' date=' and road every race in SA on them for the last 3 yrs!

Not a fan of the hub on xt wheels.

Also don't go ZTR rims way too soft for you.

[/quote']

Santa - would not even the Arch rims be suitable?

I have an XT wheelset (97kg's) and no issues - v. strong. Just get the hubs serviced regularly...

Have a look at American classic 420s or Aero3s wheelset weight 1530g. They have a weight limit of 105kg and if you go for the 58mm carbon deep sections they have a limit of 109kg wheelset weight 1900g. The hubs spin forever. I'm waiting for my Aero 3 road waves to arrive!!!