Mountain bike etiquette

covie

What is the general rules around mountain bike etiquette, especially on single tracks.

I have heard that if I am comming down a single track I have to give way to guys going up the single track.

This makes no sense to me since I am comming down at speed and have much less of an reaction time, and longer breaking distance with less margin for error.

Also what happens if you have much better guys behind you on a single track which doesnt have much room to let them through?

etc etc

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol did not mean to open a can of worms   smiley23.gif but i had a chat about this with a colleague at work and he is very experienced and says the riders going up has right of way.

Though it does not make sense if I am zooming around a fairly blind corner at speed, just got really impressed myself about making the corner that fast, then whap two guys going up the single track if I hit brakes too soft i will glide and meet mr tree, if i hit brakes to hard, im either OTB or i loose my rear.

Surely it makes sense for the guy going uphill to come to a stop? well my thoughts on this anyway.

Nope, going uphill you are working hard trying to keep cadence/ballance, and often cant restart should you come to a stop. Guys going downhill have to give way, they can change line much easier too and restart.

You should be riding with a little consideration for others regardless, so speeding around blind corners is plain dumb, you might hit a rock, hole, giraffe etc...

If you follow the directional arrows that will be at up on most trails then who ever is following the correct direction has right of way.

Other things to consider: Some trails are bi-directional - rider coming up has ROW. One directional trials: If you have to break the convention and do a trail in reverse, give ROW to the riders following the recognised direction of the trail.

If there are more riders in your group following, warn the oncoming rider when you pass him with "3 riders behind me" or the like. It gives the rider the opportunity to decide if he wants to wait for all to pass or if he wants to stop and start for the coming riders.

Should the trail be wide enough for you to pass without stopping, slow down (coming down) and stay to the left. Also state: "Keeping left" to ensure that you don't end up on the same piece of track.

Always thank a rider giving you ROW

I am sorry but I will allow riders up right of way only in low peak times.

In peak times like Saturday mid morning when there are hundreds of ppl trying to come down and enjoy the one part of their ride that they slogged uphill all morning for... if you're riding up the singltrack you deserve a chainring in the face.

if you feel you must ride up the singltrack then either get out of the way early or choose a day that isn't busy to practice your technical skills without interruption.

What is the number one purpose for building a single track? My guess is to go down more so than for going up. So my 2c would be that the guy going up is not using the single track for its main purpose, therefore he should give way.. That is what I have been doing and most guys cycling in Jonkershoek seem to do the same.

The DH creedo...  I think I heard it here... "The meek shall inherit the earth, but get the hell off my trail..." Approve

Guest Jarryd Haley

Shouldnt be riding up the singletrack- its for descending. Fire roads/ jeep tracks are for climbing.  

So if you are doing it wrong, and you know who you are, please get out of the way...Wink

Not having your flow interrupted is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry but I will allow riders up right of way only in low peak times.

In peak times like Saturday mid morning when there are hundreds of ppl trying to come down and enjoy the one part of their ride that they slogged uphill all morning for... if you're riding up the singltrack you deserve a chainring in the face.

if you feel you must ride up the singltrack then either get out of the way early or choose a day that isn't busy to practice your technical skills without interruption.

" chainring in the face" Thumbs%20Up

Too me its just safer to either have all single tracks as unidirectional or the guy going up thats slow and generally has a better field of view (and a longer period to react) to stop and get out of the way.  I agree single tracks are to be enjoyed going down as fast as possible. And if its an inconveninace to restart uphill on a single track, I beleive my saftey and yours outwheigh the effort to get started again.