Dog attack.

Spartan SL

I'm tired of getting attacked by dogs. The only route available to me sees me trying to disperse attacking dogs with water bottles, pumps, or whatever at least once a week. I cannot describe the sensations when a dog attacks you. Anyway I invested in pepper spray about 2 months ago. I used it for the first time on an attacking dog today. My word, what an effect. Instant non-aggression. Lets hope he tells his chommies.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate dogs too!! Been attacked on the bike twice before and it is a sh*t experience!

Nearly every weekend ride we get chased by a dog or two!

Also find that the pepper spray works the best. Or sad to say it but a kick to the throat.(To all animal lovers-which I am too, only at extreme situations will I kick a dog, only when it is attacking me!)

I got chased by one on saturday, luckily I saw it coming though so I stood up on the pedals and he decided I was too fast for him smiley20.gif

i know someone's gonna rag me for this, but trust me, i love dogs, but i do understand the risk they pose to riders. a substitute for pepper spray is cloudy ammonia. just dont spray it at the dog. they should be able to smell a leaky bag of it a mile away as it's hyper pungent.

I've been phobic of certain dogs my whole life. Everytime a dog chases me I get an adrenalin rush and I turn ice cold. These experiences terify me. I have also gone the pepperspray route. Helps for dogs and muggers

Did you know that the human mouth contains more germs than a dogs mouth?  Can that be a true statement?  Really? 

Got bitten by a staffie/pitbull type dog near boschkop in 2008 I think.  Was not lekker !

The owner was there with his other dog on a leash and this one loose, and when my uncle attacked the dog to get it off me, the guy pucnhed my uncle, luckily my uncle doged it so it was not a full on hit.  My uncle picked up a rock, he was threatening to let the other dog go and to shoot us.  Said it was a pvt road (it wasnt). Made a case at boschkop police station, nothing happened obviously... 

Have outsprinted a few dogs, but always have some pepperspray with me

I've been phobic of certain dogs my whole life. Everytime a dog chases me I get an adrenalin rush and I turn ice cold. These experiences terify me. I have also gone the pepperspray route. Helps for dogs and muggers

I know that feeling. I got goosebumps up my back, my stomach turned over, and the family jewels dug in when the dog attacked today.

three weeks ago i was with a lady when we were attacked. That was much worse because she wasn't at all strong and they were on us for a kay or so. Used up both of our water bottles and even threw my gel bottle at them.

Cant really blame the dogs they are doing what's natural, use the pepper spray on the owners as they should ensure their dogs are not loose.

Hi All,

I agree with Scotty, the real problem is the owner who allowes his "pet" free access to the street. They should be fined R5000 every time their dog is found outside of their property. Anybody who cannot look after his dog does not deserve one.

Regards

Sarge

Not all chasing dogs are agressive. But if it's an agressive dog, I just stop and yell in a controlling manner: 'gaan husitoe!!!' - most of them retreat then - if they don't retreat, I mock charge them (yelling or throwing a stone) and most then ran off. If they don't, I pepperspray them.  

The bad thing is sometimes at night you don't see them and they wait until the last moment before chasing, can be very surprising, especially if it's off road near farms and you're cruizing along peacefully, thinking that nothing can bother you.

Pepperspraying dogs (especially if you encounter many of them) can become quite costly. I also believe that if you've sprayed a regular attacker properly, he'll remember you and stop chasing.

if it attacks you' date=' its ok. If it bites you, you're too slowLOL[/quote']

LOLLOLLOL

My wife goes cycling around the neighbourhood while Im on kiddy watch, cuz everywhere else is too unsafe.  She's showed up back at the house many times nearly in tears as a result of dogs attacking her. Angry . So now she rarely goes out thanks to bloody owners that cant keep their gates closed!

Going to invest in the pepperspray as well, thanks for the tip.

Thats what dogs do. If you go past their territory they will chase you. The best thing is to get off your bike and walk in the dog's direction. This normally calms them immediately. If this doesnt work you are a little screwed though.

Hi All' date='

I agree with Scotty, the real problem is the owner who allowes his "pet" free access to the street. They should be fined R5000 every time their dog is found outside of their property. Anybody who cannot look after his dog does not deserve one.

Regards

Sarge
[/quote']

I couldn't agree more. When I was 16, a bull terrier attacked me while on my motorbike (50cc's those days).

It was late afternoon and the owners were outside watering their garden. Normally, chasing dogs misjudge your speed at +-60km/h and just run past your side, but that time, I braked hard when I saw it coming and hit the dog with the front wheel - sending me skidding over tar. I landed on my left knee cap and face.

They didn't even help me while I was bleeding out. Their neighbours helped me and it eventually cost me thousands. Took me over 8 years before I could touch my left knee with force again, and I still have a massive scar. After I sued them, they just disappeared into thin air. (no cell phone back then)

I've got a real problem with dog owners who don't take care of their animals - I get really mad if a dog chases me in the street, whether on foot or bike...

Brighter-Lights2010-06-10 00:46:48