Best road frame for under 20k

AfreekduSoet

Hi,

Looking for some ideas/suggestions for a new road frameset.  Budget is 20k.
AfreekduSoet2010-06-10 02:10:20

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Specialized Pro is going for about R18 000.00. That is an awesome frame. Personally I wouldn't spend that much, although it is a nice frame. Rather get yourself something like the new 930 gram Planet X for R8 800 and spend the other R11 200 on something else.

The sub 1kg Raleigh is going for about R11 000. For some reason, people don't like raleighs, but they are pretty good. Ask about 10 or so pros that have won SAs on Raleighs in the last few years

Nothing against raleigh or planetx, but budget for frameset is ~R20k. 

Specialized is an option.  Can one still get a Cervelo for under 20k? R3?  S2?  What about Cannondale?  Any others such as Cinelli? 

Nothing against raleigh or planetx' date=' but budget for frameset is ~R20k. 

Specialized is an option.  Can one still get a Cervelo for under 20k? R3?  S2?  What about Cannondale?  Any others such as Cinelli? 
[/quote']

Check out the new Planet X Nanolight, around 920 grams for R8822 designed by the guy who does Eddy M's frames and made in the same factory that makes Eddy M, Museeuw and a few other big Euro brands.

If you want to spend closer to R20,000 I'll include a set of our new carbon aero clinchers; 38mm deep front and 50mm deep rear, 1450 grams a set for R7500 total R16322 or make it an even R20,000 for frame, forks, headset and SRAM Red groupset...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/images/products/Black-Nanolight-Frameset.jpg

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/UserFiles/Image/Black-Nanolight-Bike-Above-View-470.jpg
Kiwi2010-06-10 03:36:58

Thanks Kiwi.  Will keep it in mind.  Nice pics.  I've got a groupset and Zipp 606.  Really just looking for frame.

@Mampara, Focus also seems good.  Can you get Trek and BH framesets for under R20k?

Speak to Tess @ Circle Cycles, Fish Hoek, Cape Town.  Full caron KHS framset for around R15 000. Just got one (ok paid little less than that but hey) and I freaking love this thing! Ride is super smooth and stiff, and it corners like it is hugging the camber of the road. 

You may be able to work out a better deal...

@Kiwi' date=' got pics of it in white with silver?  See it advertised on your site.[/quote']

Hi AfreekduSoet,

Here's some pics:

20100610_032936_White-Nanolight.jpg

20100610_033012_100528002929-Ma.jpg

20100610_033105_Nanolight-marty.jpg

That's good money for just a frame, so stick with tried , tested and reputable brands eg. Eddy Merckx, Pinarello, Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Look and Colnago.

Do you HAVE TO spend 20K on a frame??? Is it an insurance thing? Because that Nano is baie mooi and will leave you with tons in your back pocket- some of which you can donate to charity or something if you have to spend 20K.

I ride a focus

This is my bike atm

20100610_040249_30391_417443415.jpg

20100610_040302_30391_417443430.jpg

The whole bike (excluding the cosmic wheelset) but with Mavic Aksiums cost me 2000 euro, not sure how much you can pick up focus frames for if you can get them separate, but they excellent value for money.

Another brand you could also try is Canyon, their prices are excellent, in fact i was going to get a Canyon frame, you can pick them up for about 1200 euro and thats the same model that Lotto team raced in 2009.