Low maximum heart rate

I've always noticed that while everyone else is bragging about heart rates of 190+ during hard training, i've never been able to get mine anywhere near 180. I was at the sport science institute in cape town this morning and confirmed this by maxing out @ 168 bpm. I'm 28 yrs old, so according the calculations, i should have around another 20bpm in me.

I've never had heart problems and am as fit as a fiddle. What does this low maximum heart rate mean?

What does this low maximum heart rate mean?

That you can only enter 25km races.

Guest colonel

You wasted R650 on a test that can be done by yourself on the road.

I've always noticed that while everyone else is bragging about heart rates of 190+ during hard training' date=' i've never been able to get mine anywhere near 180. I was at the sport science institute in cape town this morning and confirmed this by maxing out @ 168 bpm. I'm 28 yrs old, so according the calculations, i should have around another 20bpm in me.

I've never had heart problems and am as fit as a fiddle. What does this low maximum heart rate mean?
[/quote']

Means sweet FA - a couch potato can easily get their HR to 200 walking up a flight of stairs.

Your heart probably has quite a high stroke-volume so it doesn'e need to beat as fast.

Max HR is pretty much genetic.

I suppose they're probably amateurs and it's better to get the Hub's view.

But just out of interest, and seeing as you were there, what did the Sports Science Institute make of their test result on you?

smiley1.gif

What? I didnt pay for it. I'm a guinea pig for someone's thesis. I've got a 40km tt tomorrow and a 100km on sunday

yip...come and ride a Killarney in A bunch or a Elite League race.....that will easily push it up to 200!!Wink

I suppose they're probably amateurs and it's better to get the Hub's view.

But just out of interest' date=' and seeing as you were there, what did the Sports Science Institute make of their test result on you?

smiley1.gif

[/quote']

I seriously doubt that the SSI would have made any comment on it, other than writing down what the number was.

I seriously doubt that the SSI would have made any comment on it' date=' other than writing down what the number was.
[/quote']

I made comment of the fact that my heart rate was probably lower than what she was used to and she said yes, its strange that i only averaged 166. That was about the extent of our conversation regarding my amazing and wonderful heartrate Tongue

Did they do a VO2Max test and maybe a lactate threshold test as well?

VO2MAx, but not LT. Its non invasive testing (they dont want to pay us suckers). I'll get all my numbers later today hopefully

Bruce, what is the best method to do a max HR test? I know polar prescribe the 2x2 min test.

Otherwise just ride until you start seeing angels?

Otherwise just ride until you start seeing angels?

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Never EVER rode that hard in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!