Fitting Giant baby/kid chair

greatwhite

Thought I would share this with those that might have had a similar problem:-

A while back I bought a Giant baby chair to fit on the back of my mtb so my wife and I could take our little one with us. To cut a long story short, the bike needed certain anchor points for the chair - my wifes bike had them, but mine didn't but I wanted the seat on my bike, so I made these:

20100612_060412_100_0918.JPG

They are cut from 0.9mm GR304 st/st (these are, in fact, left overs I didn't need)

Used in conjunction with jubilee clamps (hose clamps often used in cars), M5 fasteners and some old inner tube, I was able to get the following result:

20100612_061120_100_0922.JPG

Seat mounted on bike (and intended user)

20100612_061409_100_0923.JPG

Top mounting - Note the brackets on the seat are quite far apart - I used a couple of nuts to space the intermediate links in so the fitted the bracket on my saddle pillar - if you want you could do a bit of a 'z' bend on the intermediate links, but I'm not a fan of doing any process you can't reverse if you might need to....

20100612_061646_100_0929.JPG

Lower seat stay brackets - fairly straight forward

As mentioned earlier, I have left overs, since I made a few extra in case made a 'balls up' 1st time round. If anyone want them, PM me. If you want the CAD drawings, ditto. Useful for mounting not only baby chairs

And I can say that they solidly hold the chair in place while you are on the move.......
greatwhite2010-06-12 06:33:31

thats one way to get some serious hill training in.

i'm looking @ doing something similar - either the chair, or a trailer behind.

I have one of these in my garage but to scared to mount to the seat stays.I worry that it may damage them.

Clever ideas that came out here though.

When I read the topic header, I thought you were going to give us advice on fitting a chair for giant babiesLOL

thats one way to get some serious hill training in.

i'm looking @ doing something similar - either the chair' date=' or a trailer behind.[/quote']

Fan, give me a PM if you want to look at trailers. I'm going to be ordering from Take2.co.za from their Amazon portal soon. Can give you some links to trailers. Cheap ones are < R2K and you can get an xtra front wheel to turn it into a trolley.

Great for Helderberg Nature Reserve or Somerset Mall LOL

Also going to get a chair but if you want to check them out then pop in Cycle Addiction.

But anyway, your going to see me wizz past your office soon with my pimp trailer and little hubbers in the back.

I have one of these in my garage but to scared to mount to the seat stays.I worry that it may damage them.

Clever ideas that came out here though.

Agree. I'm going to get my Dad to wield me up a panier rack for a laptop briefcase - want a steel out frame just in case I crash on my daily commute and I was actually wondering tonight how I'm going to fasten it onto the frame without damaging it.

@ fundacious: the trailers are nice, but they quite wide, so you need to chose your routes carefully with the savages that are the road these days. Also not suitable for offroad

@ gummibear: You'll be fine mounting them in you're seat stays as long as you mount as near to the bottom as you can manage - if you mount mid span you might create a problem if you hit a big bump and the shock load folds the stay.

@cbrunsdon: Try and pick up and old one of these seat secong hand - the support underneath is quite a nice light pannier mount anyway. Then get yourself an aluminium case with foam liners for you laptop.

All: Things I have learnt:

1. I found the limit of what offroad you can do with the little one on the back is jeep track of smooth single track. 

2. Avoid steep inclines - with all the extra weight over the back wheel, it is quite easy to flip the bike. (no I didn't flip and squash my kid, but you feel the front getting light much earlier than you are used to)

3. Don't go too fast - even if your kid is loving it. Mommy gets upset and then you are in BIG trouble.

• 2 months later...

@cbrunsdon: Try and pick up and old one of these seat secong hand - the support underneath is quite a nice light pannier mount anyway. Then get yourself an aluminium case with foam liners for you laptop.

Thanks for this advice and I managed to score a second hand Giant for R220 this morning. The pannier mount rack is what I've been looking for.

All: Things I have learnt:

1. I found the limit of what offroad you can do with the little one on the back is jeep track of smooth single track.

We went for a spin this afternoon and little hubber (3ys) loved it but we found the limit of comfort when we hit a section in our local park (Radloff) where people take their dogs for walks. I would describe the terrain similar to jeep track / smooth single and agree that is the most intense you can go.

2. Avoid steep inclines - with all the extra weight over the back wheel, it is quite easy to flip the bike. (no I didn't flip and squash my kid, but you feel the front getting light much earlier than you are used to)

Was really awesome climbing curbs while crossing roads. Nearly popped a couple of wheelies in the process.

3. Don't go too fast - even if your kid is loving it. Mommy gets upset and then you are in BIG trouble.

LOL ... fatest I did was 33km/h and little hubber loved it but Mommy was not around and she actually warned us not to go fast :)

One last point to any Hubbers looking for a child seat, the Giant is definitely worth it. I checked many other forums and parents all agree to get one that reclines (which the Giant can do), one that takes up to 22kg (ditto again for the Giant) and is removable with & fits to a pannier rack (Giant again).

I know I got an awesome bargin this morning but after just one ride I would say that even at its normal retail price of R1K its worth every cent.