belt drive & geared hubs...

rudi-h

I've done around 5000-6000km with my mtb, and this seems to be equivalent to driving a car past the 250000km mark. Everything is just on the verge of giving in. Deraileur is dodgy, chainrings are buggered, cassette and chain is blown, shock stanchions and seals are mangled etc. If I take my bike (commencal full sus) to a bike shop for a "full service" I would expect a bill of R6000 - R10000 (with replacement parts).

My question: What does it cost to maintain a bike fitted with a belt drive and rohloff hub? Anyone that has such a rig that can give some advice?

Is there anybody in JHB that sells Rohloff hubs and belt drivetrains where I can get some info and prices?rudi-h2010-06-13 06:21:20

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go check out the forums on www.mtbr.com, there is a forum section on Internal gear hubs and quite a few guys have done what you're looking to do.

A lot are also starting to use the new Shimano Alfine quite successfully on their MTBs.

R6000-R10000 for a full service???

You could probably get a new bike for that much. Cheaper to buy a new drivetrain and fork.

I'm in eaxactly the same position, bike really not riding like it used to. Student budget means that 2nd hand spares off the hub are the only feasible option. Takes a while, but it's rewarding, and I've met some great people.

I'm not sure belt drive is the solution though. Belt drive, at least on motorcycles, is a big no go for offroad. All it takes is one pebble to get between the rotor and the belt, and that's the end of a belt. I'm not sure if that's the case on bicycles, but I couldn't imagine why not.

Just my thoughts.

I'm in eaxactly the same position' date=' bike really not riding like it used to. Student budget means that 2nd hand spares off the hub are the only feasible option. Takes a while, but it's rewarding, and I've met some great people.

I'm not sure belt drive is the solution though. Belt drive, at least on motorcycles, is a big no go for offroad. All it takes is one pebble to get between the rotor and the belt, and that's the end of a belt. I'm not sure if that's the case on bicycles, but I couldn't imagine why not.

Just my thoughts.
[/quote']

belt driven bikes (with internal gears in the hub) are the future.  If the belt is tensioned no stone will be in, and even if it did modern belts probably are stronger than bicycle chains of the same width, so poor stone.  THe only three limitations are:

the price of the internal geared hubs (over 10k)

the need to "Break" the rear triangle to get the belt on, although some swing arms will allow it (Commercale) and the need to have a fixed distance between the hub and rear gear

Fashion.  We all like gears, chains and the pain that comes with it

For starters you will need a frame that can take a belt drive. And where do you ride? My MTB has just gone over 5000km and I have not even changed a chain yet.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of the whole "break the frame" aspect to get the belt on, so there goes the "belt drive" idea.

Might consider the internal hub with chains / sprockets instead. Seems that in a 10 year period I will most likely go through 2 rear deraileurs, 10 chains, 3 sets of chain rings and 5 casettes. With that in mind the R10k knock once-off is maybe worth while. Not to mention the super smooth gear changes... I ride hard and fall often! If you didn't fall, you could've gone faster!!! - myself

Anybody knows where to shop for internal gear hubs?

"belt driven bikes (with internal gears in the hub) are the future. If the belt is tensioned no stone will be in, and even if it did modern belts probably are stronger than bicycle chains of the same width, so poor stone. "

Is this a fact ? I have heard of a chap that tested a belt setup and some grass got into his very tight ass setup and stripped his super strong belt !!! smiley3.gif dirt-rider2010-06-14 08:18:54

Rudi give hidegarde(sp) a shout at bruce reyneke cycles he recently fitted a brand new hub to one of my customers freedom challenge bikes, they are definitely worth the extra cash seeing as you only need an oil change once a year and maybe a new chain every two years

being 14 speed you only have to rely on your front chainring to worry about top end speed so the bigger you go the bigger your top end will be and to be honest who can pedal over 65km/h on the mtb????

give it some thought even a chain driven rohloff is probably better than most geared systems out there..turtlek2010-06-14 08:40:24

i think the reason chain and cassette's remain the norm is that the racing pro's can change rear wheels on the fly when they puncture... thats the only thing i can think of. I would otherwise have thought this is seriously old technology and needs to change??? the other thing is, internally sealed gears would never wear out, killing a whole money making racket of high end bike parts!!! 

I've been researching the whole Rohloff Speedhub thing lately, and drooling quite a bit as a result. These things are amazing...

Most telling comment was by a guy who phoned them to ask what the typical service life is. Answer: "Not to be funny, but we don't know... We haven't had one fail yet."

Seriously awesome.

I saw a bike on a Sabie Experience with a broken belt. Not funny at all for that unfortunate soul. No quick fix.

I bit the bullet. My bikes at BRC right now being converted to a "maintenance free rig". I did some calcs based on the rate that I replace / break / wear drive components (Deore / SRAM X7), and it seems that the "rohloff conversion" will pay for itself in less than 5 years (10000 km)rudi-h2010-06-17 08:25:08

I bit the bullet. My bikes at BRC right now being converted to a "maintenance free rig". I did some calcs based on the rate that I replace / break / wear drive components (Deore / SRAM X7)' date=' and it seems that the "rohloff conversion" will pay for itself in less than 5 years (10000 km)[/quote']

Um Rudi-H ... can you please put a motivational letter forward to my wife .... I also need a new frame, wheelset, fork and one of those Rholfy thingies :)

Rudi give hidegarde(sp) a shout at bruce reyneke cycles he recently fitted a brand new hub to one of my customers freedom challenge bikes' date=' they are definitely worth the extra cash seeing as you only need an oil change once a year and maybe a new chain every two years

being 14 speed you only have to rely on your front chainring to worry about top end speed so the bigger you go the bigger your top end will be and to be honest who can pedal over 65km/h on the mtb????

give it some thought even a chain driven rohloff is probably better than most geared systems out there..[/quote']

BRC is the official importer of these hubs.

Hilgard is the Guru on these hubs in SA.... He rides one himself....

He is unfortunately not at BRC... He is on Holiday for 8weeks in Australia visiting his dad. Think he will only be back end of July.

Just ask the guys at BRC that Junky build the wheel.... Under no circumstances let anyone else touch that system.

He and Hilgard know how it works. Trust no one else.

Hilgard trained Junky to build and assemble them.