What you need to know about yr MTB

MichH

Hi all,

Needing to learn about what to check on your bike and when. I just had to pay R5000 for a service on my car because the brakes were worn down to the point of irrevocably damaging the discs, so I not only had to service my car, but also replace the discs.

Now with the car, I knew what the problem was, firstly I was overdue on the service, and I had heard the brakes (ouch!)

BUT, when do you know to fix stuff on the bike? And when does a bike need to be completely disassembled in a service?

This is what I know:

Lube chain after every ride, ready for next ride

Check tyre pressure before every ride

Use a chain measure and if chain has stretched by more than 10% (?), replace

As often as possible, clean your bike, focusing on chain, gears, front and rear shock and derailleurs

My bike has now done about 678km, when is it time for a major service?

Lubing a dirty chain is not good enough. Clean the chain with a chain cleaner first and then lube it. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Ok the chain thing I have never done . I ride the DT untill the complete thing needs to be replaced .

When u wash bike pull finger over spokes , u will pick up problem fast , check brake pads after the magalies monster or any other extreme DH race , Always make sure your shocks are clean ! sh*t on the shock will damage the seals and shock itself .

Ok somebody else now

Lube chain after every ride' date=' ready for next ride
[/quote']

wipe off dust from chain if it's dusty. you only need to degrease and wash if it's been a muddy ride. too much degreasing and re-lubing can be bad for the chain. lube every 160-200km
holy roller2007-08-01 07:20:27

The chain cleaning debate is still going on all over the web and still there is not unity . I clean my chain after every race longer than 70km or after a muddy race .

Pull front brake and check headset , adjust accordingly .

Feel BB , make sure it's tight yet rotates freely

Check wheel hubs , pull wheel from side to side , there should not be any sideways play

About every 6 months clean cables , i.e move inners and clean .................

oi, mich, what car you have? I did the same, but didn't believe that the disks were worn that bad, but ya, R900 for 2 disks. Must actually check it out.

Mampara <"if you never had any problem with tubes, don't change to tubeless">  

Uhm....

Isn't that like saying if you ever had a fight with a girl, don't get married??

Oh wait.

That  actually makes sense.

Oh wait.

No - it doesn't.

RodTi2007-08-01 08:31:22

Mampara, just wait. Actually just come to Botswana with me next year for the Kalahari Challenge Evil%20Smile

Mampara' date=' just wait. Actually just come to Botswana with me next year for the Kalahari Challenge Evil%20Smile[/quote']

Why, just to show me that if I traveled 500km into the veld I will have problems with my tubes.

I still say, if you don't need it, you don't need to convert.

Ah, but it's all to do with the challenge of the race... plus you need tubeless to stand the thorns and preferably some kind of arm and leg protection as well!