New mtb purchase?????

JohanJJ

Hey everybody

Need advice on the purchase of bike, mountain bike specifically. I am on a budget of +- R5000 - 5500 (for the bike only).

Would appreciate some opinions on the best mountain bikes within that range (entry level of course). Have been looking at the Trek 3900Disc, Trek 4300, Felt Q520, GT Avalanche 3.0 and the Merida Matts - 40D.

Thanks guys and ladies....

You can get a silverback phoenix, for about R5400 at your local LBS, including hydrolic brakes, and the best entry level suntour fork, much nicer than the rock shocks dart 2 apparently on even higher spec'd bikes. www.silverbacklab.com otherwise checkout the personals on this site some duzi's to be picked up.

Would prefer a new one, don't want any hidden defects. Whatever they may be. Just really can't decide.....?

Just checked out the Phoenix, very nice indeed. Are the Silverback bikes very reliable? (Have heard good things). Pardon my greenessErmm

I bought myself a Silverback Phoenix about a month ago for R5,500. The only problem i had until now was a puncture. The bike is really solid and I'm not sorry at all about the purchase.

I did quite a bit of shopping around and component wise its probably the best value for money at that level.

Good luck with your decision!

It's funny, i never looked at the Silverback bikes 'till now. But it does stand out when checking the spec and comparing it to bikes that aren't that much cheaper.

Thanks for the pointer, will definitly check it out as soon as possible!

Johan, for bang for your buck, the Silverbacks are great. Another bike a little lower on the rung is their Saturn. Drivetrain spec isn't the best, but will do a beginner well.

Nabraska would be first choice but retailing a little above his budget, what i can say is I love the phoenix, fairly good components all round, and light enough, only thing i plan on changeing is getting a yummy rock shock revelation next month :) Though admittedly I am impressed with the suntour XCR I was expecting the fork to be crap but it actually performs very well. And I am a heave rider about 94KG. and even though the saturn is cheaper i would stick with the phoenix due to the shimano hydrolics and a relativly decent fork, deore components etc. Getting a much better bike for the 1k you are spending over the price of the Saturn. But im biased Clap I love my black and white toy.

Hallo Johan.

Ek kan vir jou die volgende gee:

Merida Matt 40d @ R 4750.00

Mongoose Comp @ R 4750.00

Mongoose Elite @   R 4750.00

GT 3.0               @   R 4250.00

Laat weet maar ons lewer af in PE @ geen ekstra kostes nie

Hi Chris

Dankie vir die informasie.

Wat sal jy aanbeveel as die beste fiets in my prys kategorie?

Gaan definitief baie off-road doen. So dit moet die fiets moet kan opstaan teen die elemente.

Hallo JohanJJ

My verkoops personeel reken dat al 4 vir hulle prys goed is en ek weet vir n feit dat almal van hulle baie goeie naverkoop diens gee. As ek moet kies dan sal ek die GT en Mongoose aanbeveel alhoewel die Merida nie ver agter is nie.

Hoop dit help. Wat is jou groote wat jy soek?

Hi Chris, Tania se pa is ook op soek na n Mtb, hy soek iets vir so R10k, in n medium HT, wat kan mens vir dit kry???

Hi Marius.

Jy weet mos jy draai altyd my arm amper mors af. Kom maak n draai , bring die geld en jy kry weer n deal wat jy nie nee kan se nie. Bel my en bring hom saam.- Wat is sy groote wat hy ry ?

Chris Willemse2010-06-15 02:20:36

Checkout www.obike.co.za - Their hardtail sale is now on. Was looking around for a mate of mine and saw a 2008 Mongoose Meteore Comp their for R5k. Deore and LX components... Looks like a great buy!