Torx bolts...

AndreZA

Do you think torx bolts will take over from conventional hex bolts? Sram (pronounces like pram, not shram or es-ram) is bringing all their new MTB groupsets out fulle fitted with torx bolts. I even saw a pro's bike where he replaced the bottle cage bolts just to use one set of tools.

Are they really better and what's the benefits?

Personally I am not fond of them, they are not meant to be over tightened, but alas somebody will always do this, most multi tools are also not torx ready.

No real technical reason, but I like the standard allen heads.Dangle2010-06-14 04:59:35

I dont like them either. In some instances they are fine. But unlike normal allen bolts they cant be tightened at an angle. Wich makes them useless in some cases.

The Torx driver was originally only available to OEM's thereby preventing end-users from opening things they shouldn't. I haven't seen test results, so i can't offer my normal "biased" opinion to one or the other.

With a (good quality) torque wrench, both an allen and torx should perform the same results - the (multi) tool is only there to make running repairs.

Back in the day I used to use a small flat to open what was not supposed to be opened (like hard disk drives) now Torx tools are commonplace, I got a nice set from Builders Warehouse.  

Its a more positive grip/lock that an Allen, and I prefer them. Hope use them, and they seem a better solution for smaller bolts.

I dont like them either. In some instances they are fine. But unlike normal allen bolts they cant be tightened at an angle. Wich makes them useless in some cases.

I have never needed to use them at a angle so i guess the allen bolts are here for a while still.

ja, I had to buy a whole set when i got my xt cranks and  needed to take off the chainrings......bit of a pain, but suppose now I'm torx-ready......

isn't there something about them (the bolts) being able to have a shallower head than a traditional hex bolt so they are overall a bit lighter........?