BB replacement or Service

River Rat

I have recently had my BB serviced at my LBS, they said it just needed grease. But I have noticed that the grating sound is returning after 100km (albeit less pronounced after the service). I am at the point of taking it back to the LBS but I'm anticipating that they are going to suggest a replacement.

I have seen the excellent thread on how to replace the bearings but frankly I don't have the time to source the equipment or the inclination to do it. So I would like some advice on what to replace it with assume that I have a reasonable budget and want a hassle free ride. The bike manual indicates that I should have a Shimano BB ES 25 Octalink as standard.

Should I go for the same, Stainless Steel, Ceramic?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did your LBS really service an octalink BB? That is impressive. Normally they are just tossed away as they are sealed and pretty cheap.

The stainless and ceramic you refer to is just the material the bearings are made off, not how good the seal is. Dirt will still get in and be used as a grinding paste.

Upgrade to the extarnal BB setup. They cheaper to replace and is serviceable as you have seen.

What I can do is tell you what I did in the same situasion:

My wifes MTB had that octalink ten ton BB in. It started grinding after less than 8 months. I opened it up. It was rusted and dirty. I went to my LBS to get a replacement. After 2 weeks, I was still waiting.

So then I purchased a SLX cranckset and BB for R1000 at CRC. It was lighter and a whole lot easier to look after. Problem solved.

Why was this a better option? Well, If the bearings in the BB are now KAPUT, I order new one's from RUSH SPORTS for R230 incl. postage.

The very happy end.

Did your LBS really service an octalink BB? That is impressive. Normally they are just tossed away as they are sealed and pretty cheap.

Well that's what they said and I can only reflect on the immediate improvement albeit temporary.

What is required to upgrade to the external BB set up?

You'll need an external BB crankset' date=' like this one

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-xt-m770-crankset

Then either the necessary BB tool, or the local LBS.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/pro-bb-remover-hollowtech
[/quote']

Eedubz many thanks for your reply and my apologies for the late response I have been off line.

Question are you suggesting that I replace my crankset? Surely it would then be cheaper to simply replace the BB? ( I note from CRC that a new BB would cost me between R200 and R800 whilst a crankset is R2000)

Thanks Mampara, this changes the cost of a crankset to R900.00. But my real question is more of technical nature namely, am I stuck with a sealed BB unit unless I change my crankset?

From a finacial perspective does this mean I can replace the sealed BB unit 4 times? Or maybe less after I have factored the cost of the tools into the equation.

You can only use external BBs with the new systems. It is the way to go. I don't think it is worth spending R200 on a old tech BB when a complete new system will cost R800. And the external stuff is serviceable. There is a thread about it.

You will need a special tool but it's a once of payment and will be cheaper then asking your LBS to do it.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/pro-bb-remover-hollowtech

I don't know if CWC have received their stock yet but I bout one two weeks ago for almost the same price. This is the best one as it covers the whole BB cup and includes the end cap installation tool.

Shimano's Octalink was and still is a disaster. It is rubbish. If you want to read a bit more about it, I've written about it  before. Search for the words "lash" and "octalink" in my posts. Go back 6 months or more.

Nevertheless, the advice to go with hollowtech is good and well worth the quantum leap in initial costs.

Hollowtech is not perfect and you'll find yourself facing a ruined left BB adapter more often than you'd like to but, there's some new products on the market that makes a bearing swap cheap.

I'd like to know how the bike shop serviced your existing one. One cannot get to the bearings nevermind opening and greasing them. The trick would be to challenge them by asking them what colour grease they put in there and then opening it in front of them. My guess is that at best someone wiped some external gritt off the one bearing that is slightly exposed and then smearing some grease onto the outside of the BB where it does no good and just serves to irritate the next person to handle the BB.

You say new Octalink BB can be had for R200-00. Even that is not a bargain. I've seen some of the expensive Crank Brothers BBs make with titanium and exotic silicone rubber seals fail after two rides. More money can't buy a better Octalink BB, just a shinier one.

THanks JB, whilst I don't doubt the advice given is sound in terms of the Hollowtech solution, I don't have a strong drive to be able to service ny own BB. I am the quintessential weekend warrior and for me spending time riding is more important than trying save a couple of bucks on a DIY option.

As it stands the bike I own is 2nd hand and I have done about 1000kms on it, my guess is that the previous owner did at least double that. By my calculation that relates to about 3000kms per Octalink BB at say R300.00 a shot (incl labour). Looking at the crankset I would say it still has at least 3000kms left.

My logic tells me to replace the current BB and when it fails again (hopefully after at least 3000kms ) I will replace it with the Hollowtech solution. Is my logic sound or have I missed something?

River Rat2010-06-18 03:18:17

Whats wrong with the square taper ones? I have one, its done over 2000km and there are no problems, the BB's are R75 on CRC!

Sorry, just to add to my last post, JB I believe that your guess might be correct in terms of the service on the BB it cost me R60.00 which would suggest a fairly superficial attempt. But I will enquire further. River Rat2010-06-18 03:25:16

Nothing wrong with square taper but eish what a mission to remove! I have just replaced square taper on my 2001 Cannondale hard tail, which has not given any problems btw but  fitted new Hope external BB and Hollowtech crankset hand-me-down from my Scalpel, so it became obvious how cranks and BB technology has evolved over the last decade. External BB and self-extracting screws are so much easier to work with.

Even consider upgrading to used crankset with new rings and BB?
kosmonooit2010-06-18 04:01:58

Kosmo, do you mean new crankset and used chainrings? If so that would seem an option depending on price of the new crankset.

May I ask why you went for the Hope BB and what size BB fitted your Cannondale. My ride is also a Cannondale but I can't seem to find the size in the manual. 

Whats wrong with the square taper ones? I have one' date=' its done over 2000km and there are no problems, the BB's are R75 on CRC![/quote']

Nothing and thats why I'm sticking to it. Done more than 3000km on mine and no problems.

I understand its not easy to replace but considering the lifespan of it, who cares if it takes you an extra hour.