Keeping warm on the bike??

Squier

So, we're riding Babbas tomorrow and I see the minimum temp predicted is -2.Dead

Somehow, I don't think just armwarmers will be enough... I've got this First Ascent jacket thing but it's always a mission when I take it off. Where to put it, etc etc... More of a nuisance than anything else!

How do you keep warm on the bike when it's really cold?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm...

All I have are arm-warmers, leg-warmers, T shirt under cycle shirt, rain jacket, windtex long finger gloves, sandwich bags for the feet and a new untested buff...

-2 you say....

Guest eyecandy

I dont think u gonna b taking it off tom.

Neoprene toe-caps. Buff or rather balaclava if you've got it.  Winter gloves.  FULL leg warmers (believe me, knee warmers not enough).  Vest, bib, winter shirt.... yep, basically just about everything you own...LOL

Thermal vest underneath (not the cotton WW type)

Thermal lined tights over your shorts. that extra layer of your crotch does help.

Thermal arm warmers over the thermal vest.

Normal SS top would be fine.

Wind shell.

Buff atleast. Folded to cover your neck aswell.

Wind Tex gloves.

Neoprene toe caps.

Woolen socks.

Thermal vest underneath (not the cotton WW type)
Thermal lined tights over your shorts. that extra layer of your crotch does help.
Thermal arm warmers over the thermal vest.
Normal SS top would be fine.
Wind shell.
Buff atleast. Folded to cover your neck aswell.
Wind Tex gloves.
Neoprene toe caps.
Woolen socks.

Goodness Mampara, we're going cycling in -2 deg,which will be over by 7:30, not on a trip to the SouthpoleLOLLOLLOL

mmm...
All I have are arm-warmers' date=' leg-warmers, T shirt under cycle shirt, rain jacket, windtex long finger gloves, sandwich bags for the feet and a new untested buff...

-2 you say....[/quote']

-2... I tell no lies! and you already said on the Babbas thread that you will be riding...

Anyway, Sandwich bags for the feet? I'm assuming only to keep dry?

Goodness Mampara' date=' we're going cycling in -2 deg,which will be over by 7:30, not?on a trip to the Southpole[/quote']

-2 changes to -8 when you ride at speed. IF you can count (we this side of Randfontein can) you will see it is only 3 layers of the upper body. The windshell and arm warmers can be romoved without any problems and then you still have the thermal top to act as light arm warmers.

mmm... All I have are arm-warmers' date=' leg-warmers, T shirt under cycle shirt, rain jacket, windtex long finger gloves, sandwich bags for the feet and a new untested buff... -2 you say....[/quote']

?

-2... I tell no lies! and you already said on the Babbas thread that you will be riding...

?

Anyway, Sandwich bags for the feet? I'm assuming only to keep dry?

LOL, I said I am temped... But the temptation is starting to feel like a challenge... and I don't like backing out of a challenge smiley16.gif

I learnt the sandwich bag trick from doing the Moo mall night rides.

Put foot in favorite MTB sock. Put sandwich bag over foot. Put foot in shoe. Done. I tried it at this week's night ride and it solved my "numb from cold" toe issues.

It ain't pretty, but it works a charm.