Raleigh Spares

RexFuzzle

Hey. I have a Raleigh rm4.0 and recently took a little tumble and bent my dropout. This should be a relatively easy fix right- just get a new one and bolt it on and off you go, but it would seem that there is not one dropout for sale in the whole country and the supplier (Pro Bike) has been waiting for a shipment for more than a month now. I have been to all the shops around (Raleigh and non Raleigh dealers) and none have stock and all sing the same tune. At this stage my best option is to go to a machine shop and have one made. Has anybody got any other ideas?

Thanks

Cheers

Don't just ask for a RM4 drop-out. The other RM models used the same drop-out. I had a RM7 drop-out from the previous year for my RM4. This was 2 years ago and I got it from Westene Cycle. Don't order over the phone, go in and compare them. It's just a plain Kenesis drop-out.

I have an RM Team.

I just take my dropout in to the LBS and match it up. I can NEVER get a frikkin' Raleigh one, but have always managed to find a generic one...

Guest Big H
I have an RM Team.

I just take my dropout in to the LBS and match it up. I can NEVER get a frikkin' Raleigh one' date=' but have always managed to find a generic one... [/quote']

Even the Raleigh one will be generic ..... made by Kinesis. My el rapido Tandem also has a Kinesis frame. While we were in Cape Town before the 2002 ARGUS the derraileur thread stripped on the dropout and it bent as well. I could not find any in Cape Town and eventually settled for one that was just too big at Willie Engelbrecht's shop. I filed it to fit, we finished the ARGUS and it worked for a while afterwards. I then made my own one by using the milling attachment on my EMCO Unimat 3 mini lathe and a pice of bar stock aluminium. It is still being used in el rapido.

Subsequently I bought the blue Omega MTB Tandem as well as a Raleigh T6000 Tandem. They all have the same dropout, being Kinesis framed. I started searching for a similar dropout. Brandon Els of Raleigh/ProBike tried for a long time and could not get anything and I thought of making another one from a piece of Bar Stock Aluminium.  

One day standing chatting in the workshop of Anton's shop, Cycle House in Pretoria North, I saw a box full of dropouts on a shelf. I started rummaging in the box and found FIVE CORRECT DROPOUTS for R45-00 each. I bought them all and carry a spare in each tandem's saddlebag now.

Post or PM me pics (multiple angles) and I'll see if I've got.

Have too much raleigh spares.Wink

So it looks as though its a good idea to find a derailer and keep it as a spare for your bike before you really need to find one? Do these derailers bend and break easily then?

Guest Big H
So it looks as though its a good idea to find a derailer and keep it as a spare for your bike before you really need to find one? Do these derailers bend and break easily then?

A replaceable dropout or hanger is made of aluminium and is meant to bend before your expensive frame bends. thus it is replaceable and bolts into a receptacle where your seatstay and chainstay meets. Your derraileur is bolted onto this hanger.

Your are confusing the dearraileur and the dropout or hanger.

Hey. Thanks for all the responses. The pic that "The King" posted is the one and will definitely be keeping spares from now on. I have also been through all the boxes in all the shops and none fit- tried the kinesis ones too. It is a 2007 model and it would seem that the dropout changed between the 2007 and 2008 model. I did order one from probike and it came in at R250 but it turned out to be the wrong one anyway. Why can't each manufacturer just stick to one or make it a univarsal part, especially since it is made to break in a sense?