Measuring Speed on an IDT

AfroJoe11

How accurate/realistic would the reading be that one would get if one attached a cateye thing to the back wheel of your bicycle to measure your speed/distance????? Would one have  to do some kind of calibration of some sorts to eliminate the discrepencies, if any, from riding on the road with the cateye at the back wheel and riding on the IDT with the cateye on the back wheel. Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Can't really do it.

You'll have to make the resistance the same as a road and then there is wind resistance etc.

You can maybe simulate it closely by doing tests on the road and on the idt and measure hr and cadence etc.

The cateye only counts revolutions and the time it takes to make one revolution and then uses either the manual tyre circumference or default setting to then calculate the speed so resistance and wind speed does not make any difference to it. What could make a difference is the amount of compression of your tyre between the road and the indoor trainer as the two surfaces are not the same. This effectively changes to radius at which the wheel is turning and ultimately the circumference and thus the distance travelled per revolusion.

i have a giant cyclotron mag 2 with no power meter thing only have a hr monitor and I have no idea how else to measure my watts and using percieved effort as a kind of measure is not working for me

AfroJoe112010-06-15 12:47:39

No. Use time not distance - but then again you probably knew the answer even before you posted.