Help Please!!!!!

Shandef007

To all hubbers, i need some urgent advice!!!!! I have found this bicycle on Gumtree;

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-Men-mountain-giant-bicylcle-price-to-bargain-W0QQAdIdZ211583098

It looks like a really decent bike and for the price it sounds amazng! However i am worried that it may be a scam????? Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am meeting the guy tomorrow morning!!!!!post-15402-063853300 1277050395_thumb.jpg

Guest Agteros

You can always leave your wallet, cell phone and car around the corner with a buddy and then just walk the 50 or 100m there?<br>

Well i spoke to the guy and he says that we can meet at a place with lots of security?? Do you guys think it's a stolen bike??

Guest Agteros

Can't say as we only have a pic and a price. You spoke to him.

How clued up did he sound? Was he using the right terminology, etc? Why is he selling? Does he still have the rest of the accessories? Can you look at it? Plenty of ways you can use to try and suss the situation out.

well, don't know if its stolen, but the guy who wants to sell it obviously doesn't have a clue. He's not a MTBer and also did not buy the bike himself. I'll at least ask where he got it and why he's planning to sell.

That bike (looks like a giant anthem with cross max wheels and Rock Shox Reba shock) should be worth around R20k unless its seriously buggered.

Yeah well when i spoke to him he said that i must see it to appreciate it! He does sound kinda clueless and when i suggested meeting at a place like a BP in C.T CBD he said he'd rather meet near the Technicon, and that i shouldn't bring the cash with me :blink: soooooo i gues what i may just do is go, and as Agteros said leave all my valuables around the corner! And the bik does look Exactly like an Anthem! Maybe i should get the police involved??

Crikey... Price seems very good... Almost too good. Photo of bike in police cell quad looks dodgy... Next thing is it is addressed to "all bicycle lovers"... Seems dodgy... Maybe I'm just a bit scpetical and perhaps a bit jealous that you are going to score a groovy deal if it is legit... No way of verifying if it is a stolen bike unless an add is placed somewhere, maybe you can check with the Hub stolen bike section or NBRZA and to be quite frank - if a sweet deal happens to go your way and you unwittingly support stolen goods is it your problem...?

Maybe it is student in need of some funds for booze... I did the same thing with my bmx years ago... Just make sure you meet him in a safe & secure spot in broad daylight and you have the bike before he ends up with your hard earned cash!

thought about this again. I've seen a million Giant Anthems before, but none was this colour, and all of them had a big "Giant" painted on the tube. Seems like someone is trying to cover up something. Might not be such a bad idea to involve the cops...

from my experience alot of cyclists take pride in the brands they purchase, so i'm a bit sceptical about the fact that there's no branding on the bike

you won't take the badge of your car...unless it's 1.3L with a massive exhaust that only makes a 'geraas' to make people think that it's 2.0L or you've stolen the car sprayed it and now want to sell it

i can be completely wrong and this might be a great deal, but that's the chance we take looking for deals

good luck and be safe...and if you can't be safe, wear protection

That`s good advise - do the trade in the shop if you can.

Like "Shake & Bake" says - if I see you going down the street in my stolen bike - I`m not going to give you a chance to explain.

Meet at CWC - do the deal in the clear and if it is what he says it is - get some new decals in the shop to avoid confusion.

Keep his details on record.

You don't know the bike is stolen and you are really going to find it difficult to prove it. If you don't buy it, someone else will...

Disclaimer: Don't buy stolen goods.