Best alround mtb tyre. Non tubeless running tubeless

Bat-ass

Which are really good all-round tyres? i'm want to run non tubeless, tubeless... you know what i mean??

Non tubeless for light weight, but tough enough to train and race??

is their a good option?

ie. Crossmark or the likes

Good question. I'm also interested... One of my mates wanted to convert his Rocket Ron's to tubeless but got told by the LBS that he shouldn't as the Rocket Ron tyre compound is too soft. Has anyone converted Rocket Ron's to tubeless?

I hope this is what you mean with non-tubeless tubeless. Otherwise, sorry bout the hijack.

OPC Race ran Rocket Ron non tubeless on the front of his bike this weekend. We did some serious rocky descents (pofadder at Van Gaalens) and stuff. He weighs about 300kg and if the tyre was gonna lunch itself it would've done so.

I was so impressed my this amazing feat of tyre engineering that I'm gonna do the same soon.

Continental Mountain King Protection are very good in the mud and roll pretty well on hard pack and gravel.

I haven't ridden them on rocks though.

I know the Bontrager tires are tubeless ready and a bit cheaper that Tubeless versions.

On my 29er I run Continental Mountain King and Race King that are also Tubeless ready as tubeless without any hassles. Just getting them to seat the first time is a mission.

Maybe it's an irrational, unfounded fear but I always run tubeless on the front and sometimes, non-tubeless tubeless at the back. My concern is that a non-tubeless, if it punctures will result in a sudden loss of control (I'm no Burry Stander) and on a downhill won't be pretty. A UST tyre will stay on the rim, a non-tubeless may not.

something to consider. take race kings

ust 640-700g

non-ust 560g

xtra 1.5 cup of stans or eq 75gx2= 150g

tubeless conversion or just the strip to seel non-ust 30gx2= 60g

so 280g-210g = 70g!! wt saving

something to consider. take race kings

ust 640-700g

non-ust 560g

xtra 1.5 cup of stans or eq 75gx2= 150g

tubeless conversion or just the strip to seel non-ust 30gx2= 60g

so 280g-210g = 70g!! wt saving

See you still need sealent.. and Most of us still need the strip, so you actually dont save that weight.

A personal litle revelation Ive had lately.. Best bloody tire I have ever ridden in wet..MAXXIS RENDEZ.. CRC only unfortunately.

I bought it- converted it to 2bliss, rode tokai and oh , well it was better than the monorail (what a **** tire).

Then on the public holiday we went to Eselfontein in ceris, (yes that wet day with the snow) the trails were well wet but the hardpack didnt go very muddy (If you catch my drift)I was Losing myself down the first singletrack downhill once more as I always do when riding there and when nearer to the bottom (not to rocky anymore) I was approaching a reasonably tight hairpin, but not quite a switchback, I unclipped my inside foot and hit the thing flat out, thinking Im probably going to need the foot, to my abosolute amazement the tire stuck to the ground like glue! the rest of the day I spent seeing if I could get the thing to slide out but my balls were either frozen or not big enough as I flew round turns I would normally be going much slower through, WHAT A FIND!! Its perfect for the stellenbosh challenge type races that is slimey and hardpack ( I meen please dont expect tires to grip on rocks and routes)

I got it for R150 off CRC what a steal!!

post-1279-030368700 1277149712.jpg

See you still need sealent.. and Most of us still need the strip, so you actually dont save that weight.

A personal litle revelation Ive had lately.. Best bloody tire I have ever ridden in wet..MAXXIS RENDEZ.. CRC only unfortunately.

I bought it- converted it to 2bliss, rode tokai and oh , well it was better than the monorail (what a **** tire).

OK that Picture came out skeef...sorry

Thanks for the info Bos. Have you tried the Arden(t?) from Maxxis ? Seems like your type of am/trail tyre.

My 2c -

# Its cheaper and lighter running a foldable tyre with sealant than a UST tyre or a tube for that matter(mostly).

# BUT rim/tyre fit (ERTRO) needs to be looked at, as some combos just wont work and will be too loose/tight.

# Protection tyres are good for rocky terrain, as the foldable tyres can get damaged easily in very rocky areas (i've got some scrapes and a small cut after riding some hectic stuff with my Aspens, as they are an XC tyre not made for such terrain) but they weigh nearly as much as UST so Id rather go the whole hog then

# UST is very unflexable with the thick sidewalls so needs to be run soft to flex and grip, but doesnt really loose air and wont jump off rims.

# If you want to run foldables, consider No Tubes/STans rims as they are made for this and keep the bead in place without burping and seal easily with tape and valve, cheaper and easier and lighter than rims strips.

# For rocky stuff and heavier guys I would suggest UST, because of the risk of cutting or rolling a tyre, but seems OPC has proved me wrong there.

# Tubeless ready/TNT tyres are a biatch to get off stans rims so be aware of that.

Tyre wise for the OP - Crossmark wears well if allot of tar is done and being square the blocks keep working, unlike tyres with angled/shaped knobs that dont work well when worn.

Look for something with a harder rubber like 62a or 70a so its lasts longer for training.