ChampionChip drops the ball

The Guy in Pink

Polokwane peddlars were dropped in the Cr@p when Champion chip decided not to honour a contract for timing the Road Hog race on saturday.

This is what the Club Chairman has to say.

Dear Cyclist

We have just heard from ChampionChip that they will not be honouring their contract with us, which we signed with them in November last year already, to time our race on Saturday.  Apparently it is due to unforeseen staff problems.

The management committee of the club agreed that we have a moral obligation to inform you of this change as we advertised the race as being timed by ChampionChip.  We also understand that some of you only decided to enter and maybe travel some distance due the fact that it is a timed race. 

I can assure you that we seen this breach in contract in a very serious light and will take the matter further.  It also poses a problem to us to allocate prize money especially to category winners.

We decided to turn this problem into a opportunity and decided the following:

The race will continue with same high standards and effort that we organised our previous races;

Johan de Lange will still benefit from this race;

Medals will still be given to each person who completes the race;

We will not be awarding prize money to race or category winners - instead we will have at least 15 cash prizes of R150 each.  This will be allocated by means of a lucky draw at the normal prize giving time advertised.  All cyclists who finish the race and attend the lucky draw will qualify to get a prize through the lucky draw.  Everybody therefore has an equal change to receive prize money.

The money that we save on the timing and the saving in prize money will also be handed over to Johan as part of the fund raising we promoted in our earlier email.

We invite you to still enter for the race and enjoy the day with us and at the same time help a young person in need.

There will a be coffee shop with food and drinks on the premises which will be open until the prize giving ceremony.

We apologise for any inconvenience, but at the same time ask you to see the positive side of this race where we plough back into the community with your support.

Keep on cycling!!!

George Malan
The Guy in Pink2007-08-03 06:07:57

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the chairman's way of handling it as a last minute solution. Another solution is for it to be purely first across the line and put everyone into chutes to take their number?

anyway, probably difficult to do especially at last minute...

Yikes the worst that could happen to any race organiser!!!!!!..... why did Championchip do this?????? ..... Colin H what is your side of the story????????

The race is being used to raise frunds for a worthy cause, ( see below) so  I think that Colin needs to put his hand into his pocket and contribute.

Dear Cyclist

Just a reminder of our Road Hog cycle race as listed below.

You might have read or heard about the tragic incident involving Johan de Jager.  Johan is a Grade 12 learner in Tom Naude high school and is a keen sportsman.  He was involved in a motorbike accident 2 weeks ago and lost his lower right leg.  He needs to get a prostheses, but he does not belong to a medical aid.  One of the teachers at the school started a fund raising to assist him.  The total amount required is R30 000.00 

Polokwane Pedallers decided to use this race to assist as well and plough something back into the community who supports us.  We will be donating a portion of each entry fee towards this fund.  His friends from the school will be marshals on the route and the fees we would have paid them will also go towards the donation.

If you personally want to contribute to this worthy cause as well please deposit the money into the collection box that will be at the entry tables.

See you at the race!!!

The Guy in Pink2007-08-03 07:36:08

Dear Members<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Unfortunately, yes we could not be available to deliver services to the Road Hog due to unavailability of staff. As I explained to George, this is highly regrettable from my side and we would never do this if it was in any way avoidable.

Colin Hegter

ChampionChip Colin Hegter2007-08-04 15:15:43

Come on Colin, Not Good enough! 

If you have a contract you live by it.

You could have driven up yourself and handled it on your own.

It may be a small event, but they reqularly use your services.

Come on Colin' date=' Not Good enough! 

[/quote']

Seems that CC have everyone by the short and curlies how is Colin going to feel if he is not paid at a race this is also breach of contract.  He will throw a tantrum of note , but now the shoe is on the other foot so he doesn't give a stuff.

Colin have the balls to donate money as a way of saying your'e sorry.

Ek wil ook weet.  Wonder as ek so kort voor 'n race hul laat weet dat ek hul nie kan betaal nie.  Auk, major ***.

Come on Colin' date=' Not Good enough! 

[/quote']

Hi Malcolm<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I sure you must be joking with your comment as obviously if I was available I would have been there timing the race. You can not honestly believe that I am sitting at home doing nothing rather than going to the events ????

Seems that CC have everyone by the short and curlies how is Colin going to feel if he is not paid at a race this is also breach of contract.  He will throw a tantrum of note ' date=' but now the shoe is on the other foot so he doesn't give a stuff.

[/quote']

Hi Sammajoor<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I find your comment interesting and they would be very valid if these events in fact did pay us what they should for the services we offer. The reality is that most of these small event depend on us sponsoring a substantial portion of the costs and the amount they pay does not come close to the cost of making these services available. We have however continued to do many small events on a sponsored basis as a service to the sport and the participants.

Many of these events also do not pay us the small portion that they should but I challenge you to find just one event organizer that can ever support you claim that I have thrown any kind of tantrum over non payment.

As I stated earlier, if it was at all possible for us to time this event we would have and when we contacted the event we came to an agreement and offered amends of which no mention was made in the e-mail sent out.

The response to this situation has made it clear that it is not worth us continuing to support any event on a sponsored basis as the risk is just too great and we do not gain any benefit from this kind of sponsorship but do run the risk of harm should we have any problem, as in this case.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to chat on this issue.

WOW....what can I say.....Colin in all fairness as a general cyclist I thankyou for "Sponsoring" the small events. On the other side I think you would be stupid for not making some other sort of effort to aid in raising some funds towards this needy cause. I understand you cannot be there else you wouldnt pull out but now I ask you this..We all know that WT is a useless service and we support your company far more. Now would you like all your loyal supporters to see that you are just as useless as WT??? I think not and if this is the case I think I should raise the money to take on both you monopolistic companies. Its enough that we have to deal with telkom and eskom so recommend that you dig deep into your pocket and donate the funds needed to help this poor boy. It can only help your status as the company that cares. 

The ones that never srew up can sh*t on CC, the others please shut up! sh*t sometimes does happen!

Seems that CC have everyone by the short and curlies how is Colin going to feel if he is not paid at a race this is also breach of contract.  He will throw a tantrum of note ' date=' but now the shoe is on the other foot so he doesn't give a stuff.

[/quote']

Hi Sammajoor<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I find your comment interesting and they would be very valid if these events in fact did pay us what they should for the services we offer. The reality is that most of these small event depend on us sponsoring a substantial portion of the costs and the amount they pay does not come close to the cost of making these services available. We have however continued to do many small events on a sponsored basis as a service to the sport and the participants.

Many of these events also do not pay us the small portion that they should but I challenge you to find just one event organizer that can ever support you claim that I have thrown any kind of tantrum over non payment.

As I stated earlier, if it was at all possible for us to time this event we would have and when we contacted the event we came to an agreement and offered amends of which no mention was made in the e-mail sent out.

The response to this situation has made it clear that it is not worth us continuing to support any event on a sponsored basis as the risk is just too great and we do not gain any benefit from this kind of sponsorship but do run the risk of harm should we have any problem, as in this case.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to chat on this issue.

Somehow I do not understand the statement sponsoring the event.  If you do not make money you cannot pay the bills, this is the law of the capitolist, we all know the saynig bullsh*t walks money buys the whiskey.

Granted you always make money only not as much as you would like to, so why not sponsor say R500 to this event and help the boy with his problem, you after all helped in the event and entered into a contract with the organisers it I think is the right and honourable thing to do

I can't see the need to talk to you other than the forum do you have something to hide or is there a hidden agenda

Colin,

yes, you might be sposoring part of the costs for timing, but sheez, a contract is a contract, even if only verbal. And why does this never happen at the 'big' ones.

And then to threaten the race organisers about your sponsorship. As they say in Afrikaans, 'dalk suur druiwe?'.

The

reality is that most of these small event depend on us sponsoring a

substantial portion of the costs and the amount they pay does not come

close to the cost of making these services available. We have however

continued to do many small events on a sponsored basis as a service to

the sport and the participants.[/Quote]

That's

quite a statement. But we have no way to verify whether this is

actually the case or not. Why not list the costs for timing a small

event and enlighten us all?

By that, I mean YOUR costs not your charges.