ChampionChip drops the ball

The Guy in Pink

Even if you do pirate their chips you need the database. The chip is only a number. Your detail is not stored on the chip but in the database.

I think a lot of you do not know how CC works and what the costs are. I do and believe me Colin is not making a fortune. It is not cost effective for CC to time small races.

I have met Colin a few times and you can bellieve what he says.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I see the chips(wt or CC) belongs to each rider, you paid for it and it is your property.

scotty, know some of the guys at Spectrum.  Very good option.  Don't know the pricing though.

Ianc Yes it is your chip you have paid for it to be solely used on the system you bought it for.

No other timing company may use it.

I just don't understand why though.  It is MY chip, not the timing company's.  Why then can't I read the number on the chip?  Interesting, don't know the law.  But this can also mean that you are not allowed to use an ITM stem with Bontrager h/bars.

Spectrum sport does not sell chips to cyclists, instead their chip is built into the number that you get when you enter a race.  On finishing the race, you give back the number, which they re-use at the next race.  Thus the costs are already been cut due to the fact that you do not have to buy a chip.  At the moment I have two chips of which one (WT) I only use about 2 or 3 times a year

Done a race this weekend with Spectrum sport as timer and the results are immediately available as you cross the line

Just read this thread now and my immediate response is....talk about sh*tting on your own doorstep... Colins response is a typical "Winningtime" one and it's regrettable that it came from Championchip. I agree with a previous comment....we're being treated like we should all be subservient idiots.

goodness guys, never had/heard about any problems with CC, aren't you getting a bit harsh now? I'm sure they apologised upfront. If things are out of control theres little that one can do!Confused

..have a problem with his response...the initial problem may have been accepted easier with a response in the forthcoming manner we have come to know rather than a "winningtime" special!

Ianc Yes it is your chip you have paid for it to be solely used on the system you bought it for.

No other timing company may use it.
That is bullsh*t I would love to see this tested in a court of law. That piece of electronics was sold to the user and how they see fit to use it is up to them. It holds no intelligence or intellectual property that belongs to the company who sold it to the end user. It is exactly like saying that the same technology fitted to shipping containers may only be read when they pass through Cape Town but not Durban under threat that the CT port will sue the Durban port if it is.

Come on, CC and WT have an arrangement not to trespass and that is the bottom line. The PC, software application at the timing mats is also not rocket science. The "database" (seeding etc) is what their businesses hang off. My feeling is that should be a CSA controled function anyway in the interests of the wider cycling community and the "timing companies" should compete for the actual service of timing the event.

And as a final comment, although a unified seeding system makes good sense it will not happen in the near future because CC won't give up their database and nor will WT give up theirs. And as a result smaller, less lucrative events will suffer!

p.s. Still would like to see the costs that Colin was referring to.

The Main cost for timing a small country event is the traveling cost of the timing van.   Any event in the Far North starts with a R3500.00 bill for traveling. 

The Timing fee is added to that so Timing a small event  country costs in the region of R 20.00 - R 30.00 per rider

The Main cost for timing a small country event is the traveling cost of the timing van.   Any event in the Far North starts with a R3500.00 bill for traveling. 

The Timing fee is added to that so Timing a small event  country costs in the region of R 20.00 - R 30.00 per rider
Those are the charges. Colin stated that they subsidised the smaller events and the costs were not even covered. He made the statement so he should back it up. There is no additional "cost" per rider that crosses the mat. Now I am really done.

R20 - R30 to time a rider???**** ill stand there with a stop watch and for a small event of say 100 riders ill make R3000. Not bad for a few hours work dont u think???You telling me that at the argus of say 28000 people riding they make R840 000 to time the event.....Hello are we nuts????