ON-THE-GO chain repairs

b-unit

I see many people posting about chains breaking during a race.

I'm quite new to the game and would like to know what you guys carry along during a race (and other rides) for chain repairs.

Fortunately I haven't had any chain problems but I would like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see many people posting about chains breaking during a race.

I'm quite new to the game and would like to know what you guys carry along during a race (and other rides) for chain repairs.

Fortunately I haven't had any chain problems but I would like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance.

Chain breaker & SRAM quicklink. Its the bomb

b-unit, I've never broken a chain in a race or even on a ride so I do not know how people break these things. But I do keep a few YBN quickl-links and a tiny Rav-x chain tool in my saddle bag.

Thanks!

Sounds pretty straight forward.

It is, but if you dont have them and your chain goes...its going to be long day

As a rule I put in a powerlink when I get a new chain, makes maintenance much easier than with the Shimano pins. And yes the SRAM powerlinks will work on a shimano chain

Which chains are you guys using with the SRAM power links as I just bought 3 SRAM Links and they do not fit on the Shimano HG53 chain but the KMC X9 link does?:(

Which chains are you guys using with the SRAM power links as I just bought 3 SRAM Links and they do not fit on the Shimano HG53 chain but the KMC X9 link does?:(

I only use shimano XT(good allround value for money) think its the HG73 and I have had the shimano XTR chain(think its the HG93), on both of them I had powerlinks no problem. When you say it doesn't fit, do you mean the powerlink's 2 "pins" dont fit through the chain's link or does it fit, but it doesn't reach all the way through to be able to clip it together?

I only use shimano XT(good allround value for money) think its the HG73 and I have had the shimano XTR chain(think its the HG93), on both of them I had powerlinks no problem. When you say it doesn't fit, do you mean the powerlink's 2 "pins" dont fit through the chain's link or does it fit, but it doesn't reach all the way through to be able to clip it together?

The pins are the right size but when you put it in they are actually too long leaving a gap between the inner and outer plate and then making the function of the pin too loose and a good change it can unclip itself neverminf the wear you can pick up. Will check out with the XT Chain though......HG53 chains are very cheap from CRC brought 3 in at about R130 each landed.

Probably a good idea to practice breaking and repairing an old chain before you need to do it during a race. It's not so lekker to figure it out in the heat of the moment, and the powerlinks can be tricky.

The pins are the right size but when you put it in they are actually too long leaving a gap between the inner and outer plate and then making the function of the pin too loose and a good change it can unclip itself neverminf the wear you can pick up. Will check out with the XT Chain though......HG53 chains are very cheap from CRC brought 3 in at about R130 each landed.

Have you maybe got a powerlink for an 8 speed chain?

What colour is it? it should be gold.

I am not familiar with the HG53 chain but ja, that doesn't sound right, there is no gap between mine, i actually battle sometimes to get it off after a muddy ride.