Rear derailieur

Wheely King

Hi,

My rear derailieur keeps on jumping gears. I don't want to take to local bike shop, how can I fix myself?

Tx

There is a long list of what might be wrong:

Limit screws wrongly adjusted

Hangar bent

Stiff link in the chain

Bent link in the chain

Dry derailleur wheels

Dirty cables

ect

I would start by looking at the derailleur from behind the bike and check that it`s hanging straight

If so reset your upper and lower limit screws - it`s easier to do this with the chain off if you can but not nessicary

Check the derailleur wheel move freely

Set your gears again - that should sort it out but these steps are not fool proof - there is a lot that can go wrong back there.

Hope this helps

There is a long list of what might be wrong:

Limit screws wrongly adjusted

Hangar bent

Stiff link in the chain

Bent link in the chain

Dry derailleur wheels

Dirty cables

ect

Add to that a worn cassette and chain...

My hanger is bent and it keeps jumping gears. I'm taking it in to my LBS to have a look at...... Maybe they can bend it straight

Limit screws won't cause the gears to jump. Maybe just the biggest and smallest cogs, but not the rest. If your gears are set up correctly and they still jump, then one of the above mentioned reasons is the problem.

Wheely King: I had the same problem for a couple of months.

Setting the derailleur helped on most gears but I still found it skipped on the 4-5th (I ride 8spd MTB).

I then replaced my cassette and chain and skipping was resolved.

I also once had a bent hanger and just bought a new one instead - much cheaper.

I 2nd the bicycle tutor vids, helped me stacks. Also, get yourself a service stand. I bought one of those ones they use to display bikes on shop floors for R120 randts. Thought it would not work but its magic. Made servicing my bike a dream.

I must say that I've found it worth my while to learn how to service my bike. Not only am I saving a stack but I'm also getting to understand my bike better.

The dreaded slippery gears ....

You might also download the instruction sheet for your model RD and work through the procedure in setting it up, thats a good start. If it still jumps after fine tuning then you might have other problems as mentioned. There is also quite a lot of video on this on youtube and also some manufacturers web sites.

On this issue, I recently fitted new SRAM X9 RD on my two mtb's, both were lemons! The quad sticks and does not move freely, causing slipper crunchy gears. Sent the one back to CRC and they acknowledged fault and gave me credit vouchers, still have to try to get Solomons to take back the other. So make sure the RD moves freely with cable movement. Some you can take apart to free up (X0), others are riveted.

On a related note....I decided to change my RD wheels to some zooty looking alu ones.

But I notice quite a bit of lateral play in the two wheels....haven't yet been for a test ride, but I'm worried that the amount of lateral play will be detremental to good, efficient shifting?

Any similar experiences?

There should be lateral play on the top wheel and minimal play on the bottom. Although the wheels look the same don't mix them up.