Why dont BarloWorld want this investigated ?

BarryW

Barloworld rejects calls for UCI investigation of Cox's death

By Susan Westemeyer

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/news/aug07/aug02news/Cox7tn.jpg

Team Barloworld has reacted angrily to suggestions that Ryan Cox's death was doping-related and that the UCI should investigate the matter. "To ask the UCI to carry out an investigation into the reasons for Cox's tragic death so soon and to do so without knowing anything about his physical problems is wrong. It is very sad that people who do not know the facts are speculating about Cox's death," team manager Claudio Corti said.

Cox died Wednesday morning of complications following surgery on a leg artery.

The South African cyclist started his pro career with the team Amore & Vita, whose manager Ivano Fanini this week said that he hoped the death was not related to doping. "How many riders have resorted to EPO, which renders the blood dense and can cause serious vascular problems." He called on the UCI to "open an investigation into the true cause of this death."

"As the management of his team, we obviously want to understand what caused this tragic death but creating stupid theories and castings aspersions is yet another evidence of the terrible atmosphere that has surrounded cycling in recent years and especially in recent months," Corti said. "I think it is important to respect the death of a young rider who died tragically at the age of just 28. I won't say anymore because this is not the right time to begin arguments with people who are only looking to attract attention and grab the headlines."

Cox's funeral will be held Tuesday in his home town in South Africa. A memorial bike ride will be held Sunday in Italy, followed by a short service at the Madonna del Ghisallo cyclists' chapel.

Meanwhile, Cox's teammates will be mourning him while continuing to race. The team will wear black armbands during the Tour of Portugal and the Giro dell'Appennino. In the latter race, the team will be led by Tour de France stage winner and mountain jersey winner Mauricio Soler, "as they try and win the Italian race and dedicate it to their teammate."

Barloworld for Giro dell'Appennino: Mauricio Soler, Giampaolo Cheula, Alexander Efimkin, Paolo Longo Borghini and Kanstantsin Siutsou.

Rather a spiteful comment made by that Manager. How very sad at this time, especially for his family to hear.

What does it matter now? It's sad that there should always be suspicion when something happens in cycling.

Very inconsiderate of you Mr Fanini, a talented young man is dead and all you can do is sensanionalise it....very wrongAngry

I think the timing is wrong. But even if it is not drug related, investigate the doctor, procedure or what went wrong. We dont want to see young riders die. One death is one too many. It is not too late now, there will be more riders with similar problems in future.

Corti says, we want to know what caused his death, but he doesnt want it investigated. Doesnt make sense.

Wasn't it a similar unfounded comment by an Italian that got Mr Rasmussen kicked off the Tour de France? Seems discrediting and badmouthing is the next big thing in cycling ... only they are way behind ... its been happening on TheHub for ages!

Wasn't it a similar unfounded comment by an Italian that got Mr Rasmussen kicked off the Tour de France? Seems discrediting and badmouthing is the next big thing in cycling ... only they are way behind ... its been happening on TheHub for ages!

Unfounded ? Cassani saw R training in Italy when he said he was in Mexico.

With regards to the other idiot, it's not the first time he's looked for attention form the press.  This is a guy who said he couldn't pay his riders but arrive at races in his Ferrari...

I'm not sure if the operation was the problem. It SEEMS like Ryan due to the cost had to discharge himself earlier than he should have and had been more active then he should have been.

To me, it's bad enough that he lost his life for the sport he loved. Maybe further down the line the family might want to find out for their own piece of mind but for now, give the guy the respect he deserves.