bike on plane

vinylguy

ok so i want to take by bike on the plane... wat do i need to do?? im running tubeless do i need to deflate my tyres??? etc etc....

ok so i want to take by bike on the plane... wat do i need to do?? im running tubeless do i need to deflate my tyres??? etc etc....

JUST BE CAREFULL and make sure your bike is insured. The last time I took my bike on a plane in a bike bag , RD bent to the extent that I had to replace it . . .

I'd also like to know, re: deflating tyres. What about full suspension bikes: must the shocks and forks be deflated?

You do not need to deflate tyres. If that was the case then the plane needs to deflate it's tyres aswell.

When Flying Kulula or 1time they will ask you to deflate your tyres. Keep it in your bike bag or bike box - No difference at all - have done it many a time and will do it again this weekend on my way to George for (Knysna Rotery MTB and road race on the 3rd and 4th july)

B)

Some airlines ask you to box the bike. You dont have to deflate the tires but to avoid a fight its best to just do as they ask on the website. The baggage handlers WILL throw your bike so protect it as much as possible. They managed to bend my brake rotor on a flight to Durban and this is why i will either courier my bike first or avoid races that require flying. Bubble wrap is your best option as they will charge you for the extra weight.

If putting in a box, Ensure you take all the necessary tools, remove pedals, wheels, skewers. You will need to take off your handlebars as well so choose whether to take it off the stem or take the stem off the fork. Put something in the brake calipers so when the levers get pulled they dont close. I also took off my RD but not sure how necessary this is depending on your bike box.

Good Luck!