training on an indoor trainer vs the actual thing

i find that training on an indoor trainer is useless, although I can do a 2hour session, it doesnt seem to improve my cycling fitness that much. when im on the indoor trainer i struggle to get my heart rate over 180, but on the road i average 170bpm... what is the explanation for this? I suppose there are so many more elements when you are on the road.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are finding is one of the biggest arguments for power training as opposed to hr training.

But why are you saying that it is useless training? My bet is that you just are not working as hard as you do on the road even though it feels as tough. I've got a power tap and the numbers don't lie. A 2x20min session on the trainer is MUCH more difficult for me than a 2x20min session on the road. So if I didn't have a PT and used my perceived exertion level, the actual effort & corresponding HR would drop (assuming that I had as much cooling as on the road).

Indoor trainers can be very valuable - especially if you don't have lots of time to train.

Do intervals on the indoor trainer lto improve fitness. It is also much less boring than endurance riding.

IDT works well. Unlike when riding on the road you have to pedal all the time on the IDT, so logic then has it that 1 hour on the IDT would be worth more than 1 hour on the road.

If you don't like the IDT get a set of rollers, rollers help you with balance and teach you to ride in a straight line and help with maintaining concentration whilst giving you a good workout. No time to get bored on rollers unless you want to see your ass. Those near falls will certainly get your heart rate up.

Hey I don't need rollers to fall indoors, I once fell off my trainer. LOL

It wasn't level (tiled floor) and the vibration loosened the clamp screw. Stood up to start a sprint and next thing I'm on my arse with a very sore elbow & a buggered wheel.

Ha Ha! It sucks at the time but at least you can have a chuckle about it afterwards! Rollers alos help with the fluidity of pedalling! Try doing one minute single legs! Dead

IDT training needs to be specific. Even if you know you have to do 1hr recovery ride, just knowing that is the goal for the workout makes it easier. Well, for me anyway.

I hate riding in the cold so I try and workout on the IDT.I find that if you work to a specific program you dont get bored so quick but if I just spin I am bored within 20 min

i find that training on an indoor trainer is useless' date=' although I can do a 2hour session, it doesnt seem to improve my cycling fitness that much. when im on the indoor trainer i struggle to get my heart rate over 180, but on the road i average 170bpm... what is the explanation for this? I suppose there are so many more elements when you are on the road. [/quote']

IDT Useless? Ja right Confused tell that to the hordes around the world who dont have 360 days sunshine a year.

Your lower HR could be due to the IDT sessions being static (bike is fixed and your only effort is in turning the pedals), whereas the road is more dynamic, you have to balance, contend with air resistance ect...

TBH i find it better to do specific quality sessions on the IDT than on the road, purely because you can concentate on the objective without being interupted by traffic, traffic lights / stop streets, speed cameras Wink ect...

i find that training on an indoor trainer is useless' date=' although I can do a 2hour session, it doesnt seem to improve my cycling fitness that much. when im on the indoor trainer i struggle to get my heart rate over 180, but on the road i average 170bpm... what is the explanation for this? I suppose there are so many more elements when you are on the road. [/quote']

IDT Useless? Ja right Confused tell that to the hordes around the world who dont have 360 days sunshine a year.

Your lower HR could be due to the IDT sessions being static (bike is fixed and your only effort is in turning the pedals), whereas the road is more dynamic, you have to balance, contend with air resistance ect...

TBH i find it better to do specific quality sessions on the IDT than on the road, purely because you can concentate on the objective without being interupted by traffic, traffic lights / stop streets, speed cameras Wink ect... 

couldn't have said it better myself....I can feel the dark skies creeping closer every day!

couldn't have said it better myself....I can feel the dark skies creeping closer every day!

Lekker hey Angry

For the month July (supposed to be mid summer hm???) we had 17 days of rain.

So far August seems to be going the same fargen route AngryAngryAngry

SwissVan2007-08-08 10:27:35