Best Anti-Theft solution

durbano

Hubbers,

I have just moved here from the USA and was rather shocked to see so many bikes getting taken in various ways.

Are there any GPS or tracker type products for bikes? Are they effective and how much do they weight?

Also does your home insurance cover bike theft when you are riding or do you need specific insurance.

I have a lot of bikes and some are top of the line so prefer they stay in my possesion.

Do they sell any emergency locators here? So if you keep one in your pocket and everything gets taken when you are 50 miles in the bush you can signal for help. They have them in the USA, but it is mostly for people that get stuck out in the desert scrub area's like Arizona.

Stay safe!!

Hi and welcome. Normal home insurance doesn't cover your bike when you are out riding. You need to add your bike under all risks.

We currently don't have any tracking devices for bikes, but some guys are working getting such devices.

For the emergency locater, you can try cellphone tracking. I think Tracker has such a service.

Hi Durbano

Most of the times, bikes get stolen from your home environment.

I would not worry too much about it when out riding in the sticks.....as long as you have a riding partner or two...

Rather focus on securing your bikes at home...by specifying the bikes in your insurance plan...search thsi website for special bike spesific insurances...

Hi Durbano

Most of the times, bikes get stolen from your home environment.

I would not worry too much about it when out riding in the sticks.....as long as you have a riding partner or two...

Rather focus on securing your bikes at home...by specifying the bikes in your insurance plan...search thsi website for special bike spesific insurances...

Netstar offer a GPS unit called Guardian. It is small, has a SOS function and is user traceable via their website. A cool little unit that you can use to track a bike ride as well with an overlay on Google Earth.

Sorry to say, but there is no best solution...

See crime is SA works this way - if they REALLY want it, they taking it.

You must just be as prudent as possible and not make it worth their while.

I dont know of too many instances of the Police recovering a bike, so dont place too much reliance on a tracker either....

Hey Durbano, there's some article in the latest tread mag about what can/is being done. BTW we use the metric system so it's "80km" in the bush not "50 miles" ;)

Cassie, you surely are not from GP. Just this weekend 5 guys were robbed from their bikes while out riding. Although a lot of bikes get stolen from homes, so does a lot while out riding, even in groups.

I hate saying this kind of stuff but South Africa has a crime problem and as a newcomer it's probably best to keep an eye on the Stolen Bikes forum to make sure you stay out of the "hot spots" for bike jacking in SA.

That said - there are also loads of secure bike parks and areas dotted around the country for riding.

Contact the local bike shops/clubs and they can point you in the right direction.

Hi Durbano,

I am insured with outsurance, they have a special bike insurance that covers you for all risk. It covers you for transporting, riding and at home. I went riding about a month ago and connected a tree, bent my front wheel. I put in a claim and they replaced both my wheels all inclusive.

You can try Cyclesure! they are very good and cover 4 everything! That is the insurance side... ride with a 45. magnum or a flair gun, better yet, they sell quite aggressive Rotweilers here in RSA! (just kidding) there are some cellphone services that provides location tracking!

You don't get "jacked" in the USA and the right to bear arms means you can carry a nice warm Uzi to dispatch any possible bandits. Any locator GPS units are for people wanting to ride in remote area's like CO, UT, AZ etc...

A lot of the offroad motorbike guys use them when riding in the dunes. Saved a few redneck's lives ;)

Because the terain does not change it is not hard to get lost if you have never ridden a trail before. You can ride 200km in one direction in Arizona because it is all federal lands.

You could fall off and get a cactus in your ash.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am originally from here so understand how it all works and the safe/not safe posts on area's is helpful. I think there are a few places that are probably no go area's but my impression so far is that it is mostly guys taking a chance in the moment to rob you. We ride in Inanda Valley which has some of the best riding in the world, but even as a group we are taking a chance.

We are talking to local chiefs about creating an informal bike park where riders pay a nominal membership that goes specifically to the community and also to clearing trails and watching for stolen bikes etc...

So far the response is pretty good....

that is pretty ingenuitive shacking up with local chiefs. See the thing there is... if you stop paying him a small reward for riding on his land due to bike jackings he will most definately take the mofo out thats putting a hindrance to his monthly contribution. Thats what we call the best of both worlds - they get money, we get to ride & ten to one most probably much safer than anywhere else aswell, however i could also be grossly misquoted here aswell & it possibly could swing either way due to chance taking from their side so i guess it could also be a scenario of win some - lose some

I'm considering one of these....

post-858-076248400 1277361672.jpg

What does that flame thrower weigh and you bet hope it's been raining before you use it. ;)