Calculating Stem length

quinton

Can anyone tell me who you calculate the length of a stem??

Is it from the center of the stem to where the "front" plate screws on or end to end?

Thanks

Why do you want yo know?? Get your bike setup properly, who cares about the actual lenght of the stem.

The old rules of thumb. as I recall them are:

MTB - see the front hub in the middle of the stem........

Road - not able to see the frontr hub as it is hidden by the bars on you are on the hoods......

Things may have changed, but this is what I recall.

I recently changed over to another bike and did a long ride with it

today and got lower back pains. From searching around on the web, the

first point raised is an incorrect stem length and saddle position. So

I am trying to figure out what the exact length of the stem that is on

my new wheels.

If I can picture it correctly I can actually see the hubs without having to lean over the bars....

The options to replace it if needed: 70mm, 75mm, 80mm, 90mm, 100mm, 105mm, 110mm, 120mm, 130mm, 140mm.

Picture below.

20070805_115601_260169.PNG

My recomendation os to measure it any way you want to then go to your LBS and tell them what method you used and they can then measure another one  in the same way. From this you will have a reference for all other types.

Can anyone tell me who you calculate the length of a stem??
Is it from the center of the stem to where the "front" plate screws on or end to end?

Thanks

To measure the length: 

"from the center of the stem to where the "front" plate screws on" would be the correct measurement, usually in mm.

No real way to calculate the correct length, this depends on your your age, degree of flexability, frame size, type of riding ect.. starting point would be as per Dick's method, generaly go longer if you want and can comfortably maintain a low upper body position, and shorter if you cannot comfortably maintain a low upper body position.

SwissVan2007-08-06 15:38:33