Grass getting sucked into the cassette...

MJ the Expat

So, this ALWAYS happens to me...While doing the FAST&FLIPPING COLD, I again got some grass

Stuck in the cassette. So much so, that the bottom 3 gears were rendered useless. The

Chain kept skipping in those gears as it was not able to "fit" between the cogs anymore.

So I was sitting on on someone's backwheel, minding my own business and I noticed his

cassette was "grass free". The difference only being that my jockey wheels were the bling

KCNC one's and he had the "plastic stuff."

So the question is:

Are the KCNC jockey wheels getting more grass in my cassette or am I just unlucky in that

way?

So, this ALWAYS happens to me...While doing the FAST&FLIPPING COLD, I again got some grass

Stuck in the cassette. So much so, that the bottom 3 gears were rendered useless. The

Chain kept skipping in those gears as it was not able to "fit" between the cogs anymore.

So I was sitting on on someone's backwheel, minding my own business and I noticed his

cassette was "grass free". The difference only being that my jockey wheels were the bling

KCNC one's and he had the "plastic stuff."

So the question is:

Are the KCNC jockey wheels getting more grass in my cassette or am I just unlucky in that

way?

Singlespeed maybe?

MJ I think your problem is sitting on someones wheels, you are picking up his grass instead of passing him and going flat out ! Hehehe :P

Singlespeed maybe?

I'd rather have grass sucked into my cassette than getting sucked into a singlespeed myself.

MJ I think your problem is sitting on someones wheels, you are picking up his grass instead of passing him and going flat out ! Hehehe :P

So you think I am letting the grass grow underneath my wheels?

WW, I am an old man...I needed the rest...Hehehehehe.

I am going with weight weenie on the sitting on the guys wheel. Do you ride a GT :-) That could also be the problem why your stuck riding on the guys wheel.

Eldron's 2c:

You have two options when grass strikes:

1) Stop and remove it - pfffff it wastes time.

2) Keep pedalling and hope that your chain/casette combo grinds the grass well enough to keep the gears working.

I always opt for 2) and use the non jumping gears until I find a long flat stretch then pop the chain into the big ring to increase tension and easy pedal on the offending gears until the grass is ground. It does lose you a few seconds but less than stopping.

Perhaps the KCNC pulley wheels are sharper so they grind the grass faster/better? Shimano ones are not quite as pointy...

Something to consider: if it's feasible change to a smaller chainring in front, that will allow a smaller cog at the back, effectively lifting the lowest jockey wheel and clearing the grass better. Whilst no bullet-proof it has helped me on several grassy sections.