Pedal M520 + TL PD40 tool

Mojoman

Hi, does anyone know where I can find (locally) the TL PD40 tool so I can open up my Shimano M520 pedals?

Good luck finding one, they're as rare as hen's teeth. I tried tracking one done last year sometime, your best bet would be to plead with your LBS to borrow one of theirs.

Annoyingly, I had one from when I bought a boxed set of pedals in the late 90s, but lost it somehow!

Contacted a couple of bike shops in the states and they are unabale to post to RSA, even though it looks as though the part is no bigger than a matchbox...the people who design these pedals are the 'special tools'!!

Ive got one, got it in 1992 with my M525 pedals. Still use those pedals daily, the bearings are as smooth as ever :D

Give me a shout if you want to use it, Im in the Bedfordview / Sandton area of JHB.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I wound up buying myself a new set of M520 pedals at R350 (I have 2 other bikes so the old ones will get used somewhere, and I was going to buy new cleats anyway), but the LBS says they need to get a R700 odd rand tool to service the pedal? Some kind of cone spanner? Is this right?

• 1 month later...

Well, further to this post, West Rand Cycles, after almost a month of saying they would get me one etc, has yet to deliver, does anyone else know where I can get one please, I really hate having something half working laying around in my workshop. I am amazed at the level of service the LBS's provide (and Shi*mano for that matter as well) and will be rather supporting CRC from now on. I suppose its because I don't spend huge sums of money and I know the bike shops hate it when you fix things yourself.

Well, further to this post, West Rand Cycles, after almost a month of saying they would get me one etc, has yet to deliver, does anyone else know where I can get one please, I really hate having something half working laying around in my workshop. I am amazed at the level of service the LBS's provide (and Shi*mano for that matter as well) and will be rather supporting CRC from now on. I suppose its because I don't spend huge sums of money and I know the bike shops hate it when you fix things yourself.

Drop me a PM with your details and I'll get one to you.

A bike shop here has one for R18.how urgent is it?

Where are you Beone? I'll take one.

What is it actually needed for?

I opened my pedal just yesterday without the aid of any special tool...

AFAIK my pedals are M520....

• 6 years later...