Is Stans / Joes really that good?

CJVDM

You have all probably seen the youtube video on Stans

and it almost seems to good to be true. Guy punctures the tyre many time and Stand just seals the holes immediately.

Then why is it not doing the same for me? This afternoon i had a 2mm wide steel object stuck in my tyre. I pulled it out, expecting Stans to seal it immediately, but nope. All the Stans come spurting out and didnt seal. I eventually had to plug the hole (my 1st time and managed it in a short space of time :P )

But i am mistified as to the big gap in my expectation and the reality. Anyone willing to commment or explain this?

Add some maze meal to your liquid to improve the plugging effect. Pulled out 10 thorns from my wheels after a MTB weekend, not one puncture and the holes sealed without a drop of stans on the floor when I pulled them out. My own mix though. Get the recipe off the net and save yourself some money. The REAL recipe that is.

I hate Stans. They dont seal really big holes and it gets very sticky after a while. I use a mixture of Joes and Proseal.

Contact Al for B.A.T - Big Al`s Tubeless - locally made and has great plugging power.

Contact him through the bicicletta website www.bicicletta.co.za

They have just started with the range - He will be able to help you.

Good price too

I found this stuff they use for motorbikes and cars called AmerSeal and it's really really cheap- R50 for 4 wheels and they come in 5l bottles. Seems to work well. There are lots of different products appearing on the market for cars that should work for bikes as well- just have to test them out.

Been using Stans for years without any additives and it works perfect for punture holes of most sizes .

Stans is good, but Sludge Uniseal is better! Sludge Ladies Team covered the entire Epic 2010 without a single puncture, and came second in their catagory. Locally made by a great guy, Chris! ;)

But do you all think the youtube videos are the real deal? Or just some fancy marketing....

I've never tried anything else, but I can say is that I've been running on stans for over 5000km, riding on all sorts of terrain without a single flat.

Based on my 5000km+ flat free run, this is my advice:

1) Never inflate tyres more than 2.2 Bar

2) Run Cross Mark tubeless tyres.

I've never tried anything else, but I can say is that I've been running on stans for over 5000km, riding on all sorts of terrain without a single flat.

Based on my 5000km+ flat free run, this is my advice:

1) Never inflate tyres more than 2.2 Bar

2) Run Cross Mark tubeless tyres.

:lol: :lol: Its my back cross mark that punctured. I just cant believe that the videos and reality is so far removed....

But honestly, have any if you and a nail through your tire and Stans seals up immediately when you take it out?????

One has to admit those videos are damn impressive and very good marketing

I experienced a rather big cut in my rear wheel, (about 5mm) and Stans sealed it and allowed me to get home without having to put a tube in, however the sealing process was not as swift as depicted in the video's. Stans pissed all over me and my bike, and when I tried to re-inflate at home, there was no Stans left in my tubeless set-up. So my input on this tread is, yes Stans is good, but not as great as the video tries to imply. I suspect that the tyres used in the video's are all filled with Stans and Stans only without any air! :unsure:

I have had a tyre delaminate from the amonia in Stans, so I don't like it. I now use this stuff:

http://www.effettomariposa.com/caffelatex_en.html#caffelatexsealant_en

Its great, no punctures yet, it's lighter and the foaming technology makes sense to me. I know Zulu Land Cycles in Ballito has plenty stock.

The agents are: Maillot Jaune Trading Pty +27 83 272 4186, the same guys that distribute BMC bikes.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had reasonably positive experiences with Stan's on small punctures, but also had a 2-3mm cut that it didn't seal. I was then left walking home 15km because I trusted the videos on their website and thought a spare tube / plug was unnecessary. Not again! :angry:

I had the same sprayers with Joes, then switched. No probs since, HOWEVER.....

The main thing is that the joe's I had in my tyres came from a large container at the LBS. I later noticed they don't shake the bottles before filling tyres, ie they let it settle and effectively only skim off the liquid only on top and wonder why they have so much thick "sludge' left. I suspect the same applies the the larger Stan's bottles too. I got the smaller single dose Stans which I always shake before use and have never had prob as in I still get a 3-5 second spray on a glass cut, but it still seals regardless.

I am also using caffelatex & have had no problems since using it. I have had Crossmarks & Bontrager tyres delaminate in a very short time due to the ammonia in Stan's.

I must be on a bad luck streak. Been using Joe's and it works very well with thorns. That is if you don't take them out. But keeping on riding sometimes remove the thorn anyway, so I have ended with flats luckily with a garage closeby. I cycle through the port and this being a heavy industrial area, you'll be amazed the the stuff you collect from the roads. Once a small steel drilling spiral cut a neat circular hole (2mm) that Joe's just refused to seal. I have to top up frequently and I can never ride without a pump and the sad thing is that I am cycling in the city!