Niner Air 9

brussel

OK so some months back I rode a mates 29er to see what all the fuss is about. I came back with a grin on my face and a mission to spend money that I did not have. So here is my new baby:

post-4715-024274400 1277449237.jpg

Schwwweeeeeettt!

The bike is pretty light, the large frame with XT kit and american classic wheels is a bit over 10kg as she stands. As 29er converts will tell you the wheels roll over the rough stuff and have a odd momentum when you are riding, almost like you have a slight breeze from behind. There has been some talk of the slow acceleration of the heavier wheels, but I cannot say that I have noticed that, and in any case one does not do such serious accelerating anyhow. We're not doing match sprints on the track. The bike is responsive and very fast. It corners like it is on rails, but does feel somewhat different from a 26er and it takes some getting used to. It is a hard tail and as soft as it is for a hardtail - because of the extra flex - it's still a hard tail. :rolleyes:

Where this this really excels is on the climbs - oh my goodness it is fast uphill. It's really fast (did I mention that already) it climbs like a goat - traction is superb and the light weight makes it go like the clappers. Having a hard tail is nice as the rigidity means that out of the saddle efforts are translated into instant power.

So so far I am as happy as the proverbial pig :D

Should you want to buy my Anthem soft tail check here:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?/topic/75504-large-giant-anthem-x1/page__gopid__1076237#entry1076237

Great Bike. What price does a frame like that retail for?

Retail is around R9500

US pricing is much lower if you know someone coming back from there ($800)

I paid just over R8000 for my frame.

US price is the bargain, but shipping is crazy!!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_2ZbR7lkXwT8/S4_yJoAj3wI/AAAAAAAADG4/2q5MgEpP2B0/My%20new%20bike_img_1.jpg

Nice bike and congratulations.

Local pricing on the Air 9 alloy is R 9 300.00 and that's before any discount.

I have the Sir 9 my most favorite bike to date .

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/wrxipmreza/PICT0006.jpg

Where do you ride that thing dangle? Singlespeed rigid...is it any good offroad?

Everywhere and anywhere you could imagine.

From the steepest to the rockiest to the flattest, it's a super training tool.

best thing about the atomic blue color that I have - it genuinely glows in the dark. Amazingly cool! my 4 year old loves it!

hey love the single speeder Dangle - you must have some seriously long pegs - that thing looks like a 26er it is so tall!!!

best thing about the atomic blue color that I have - it genuinely glows in the dark. Amazingly cool! my 4 year old loves it!

hey love the single speeder Dangle - you must have some seriously long pegs - that thing looks like a 26er it is so tall!!!

brussel I have to say you picked an awesome color, really nice machine and awesome wheels ;)

My pins are a little on the long side I am 6 foot with a 91 cm inseam.

The blue is beeeeeyoootiful.

I'm on the Kermit Green version but due for an upgrade soon - raw or blue - raw or blue hmmmm.

A fine machine sir - welcome to the big wheel club (I have it on good authority that girls like the extra 3").

<insert Beavus and Butthead laugh here>