STOLEN - DAWES SARDAR

John Keyes

Hi all, I'm an English cycle tourist, who was cycling Cairo-Cape Town, but sadly my Dawes Sardar bike, was stolen in Port Elizabeth two nights back.

I'm naturally gutted, as was so looking forward to cycling PE-CT.

It's completely unique bike i built up myself, so if anyone hears or sees it anywhere, please let me know

Spec is:

Silver Dawes Sardar, Reynolds 631 frame, with cantilever points, but rear bridge drilled for caliper brake.

Rear wheel, Shimano xt, on mavic 321.

front wheel, Tiagra on mavic 321

Chainset, Shimano Ultegra SL compact, ice grey

Shifters, Shimano Dura Aace STI

Rear mech, Shimano Ultegra SL

Saddle, Fizik Rodine

Stem, Thomson 90mm x 10degrees

Handlebars, ITM Millenium OS

Rear Rack, Blackburn in silver

I'm on lookout for another bike i can buy to complete this wonderful part of SA. Please let me know if you have something suitable, with a rack ideally! thanks. John

Sorry to hear about that.

Perhaps some of the PE Hubbers can be on the look out for the bike and / or hook you up with a replacement.

Sorry should have said - contact me on 07301 20179

Also headset was Chris King 1" and black forks

Here's a photo, but not sure if displaying properly, cheers all, J

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1414/4732824750_917e3f5998.jpg

what a nice welcome to sunny south africa - & what a typical experience. Wouldnt expect anything less out of the unsrmountable thieving trolls in this country

i feel for you mate. I hope you find your bike or get a respectable replacement & enjoy the rest of your trip & keep safe

It was taken from the back of a hostel in Kings Beach, PE.

Tiny hostel garden, surrounded by campers, locked and next to another bike.

Sadly travel insurance doesn't cover stolen bikes, just the tent and stuff attached to the bike. Not had a single problem all way from Cairo and not going to let this ruin the final stage.

Just hoping to find a decent bike I can put a rack and panniers on and carry on, or racing bike and chuck the luggage!

It was taken from the back of a hostel in Kings Beach, PE.

Tiny hostel garden, surrounded by campers, locked and next to another bike.

Sadly travel insurance doesn't cover stolen bikes, just the tent and stuff attached to the bike. Not had a single problem all way from Cairo and not going to let this ruin the final stage.

Just hoping to find a decent bike I can put a rack and panniers on and carry on, or racing bike and chuck the luggage!

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune heer in SA!

BUT don't let that distract you from your SA experience....you're correct the most beautiful part of your trip will be the garden route...you must try and complete that!

Good luck to you & perpetual flats for the bugger who stole your wheels!!

John, I trying to muster up some support in PE...

keep your phone close to you...

let's see what happens...

what a nice welcome to sunny south africa - & what a typical experience. Wouldnt expect anything less out of the unsrmountable thieving trolls in this country

i feel for you mate. I hope you find your bike or get a respectable replacement & enjoy the rest of your trip & keep safe

Funny that when I read up on UK blogs, bicycle theft is also rampant there. I often get the impression its even a bigger problem in UK/Europe than here in Africa.

sorry, cant help with a bike but will be on the look out for it.

where at Kings Beach was the photo taken?

might be mistaken, but doesn't look like it to me.

Hi Conti, yeah you're right, it's actually at Victoria Falls/Zambia side, the cloud/mist in bg is where water tumbles over. cheers, J

sorry, cant help with a bike but will be on the look out for it.

where at Kings Beach was the photo taken?

might be mistaken, but doesn't look like it to me.

Cheers Cassie, much appreciated. Thinking i may head to Cape Town on bus and pick up a bike there, as there seems many more for sale, but i'm certainly staying in PE tonight and around tomm. J

John, I trying to muster up some support in PE...

keep your phone close to you...

let's see what happens...