Actionphoto - 2010 Argus pics

SWM1

Anyone else get their pics posted to them?

I got a notification to pick something up at the Post Office yesterday.

Eventually went this morning only to find that Actionphoto had sent me 5 x A5 photo's of me with a letter saying that if I keep them, I have to pay for them.

Otherwise I must send them back.

Are these guys trying to make an extra buck or what?

If I'd wanted them I would have ordered them off the site.

I'm only in 3 of the pics!

Anyone else get their pics posted to them?

I got a notification to pick something up at the Post Office yesterday.

Eventually went this morning only to find that Actionphoto had sent me 5 x A5 photo's of me with a letter saying that if I keep them, I have to pay for them.

Otherwise I must send them back.

Are these guys trying to make an extra buck or what?

If I'd wanted them I would have ordered them off the site.

I'm only in 3 of the pics!

I had the opposite problem. Never got my ordered photo? Go my money back . . . after a struggle. Will never even try ordering again!

Under the National Credit act it's illegal for them to market that way...just like the readers digest used to do.

Notify them you know your rights and thank them for the free photo's.

It used to be like that in the days before online orders. I would take them, scan them in and post them back. Naughty I know, but I'm not paying R50 a photo when they cost R2.50 to print and say R10 for the photographer.

Under the National Credit act it's illegal for them to market that way.

Except, wasn't there something written on the back of the sticker that says by putting the sticker on your bike/helmet you agree to them doing this?

This years photos were the worst I've ever seen, looked like a bunch of amateurs with cheap cameras.

I will definitely be sending them back if they arrive.

I did the 2 oceans trail run and ordered some pics after. It took just over a week for the printed photo to arrive - acceptable I guess - but the digital pics, which I'd assumed would arrive more or less immediately took nearly 3 weeks! I had to chase them up three times and request a refund before they got it together to send them. Pretty pathetic.

I must agree that the quality of the pics have definitely gotten worse over the last couple of years!

Getting them in the post is how it was done "in the old days". I completely forgot about them one year and the buggers almost blacklisted me :-( Of course it was my fault, but not a great way to run a business and / or build relationships.

Unfortunately, we are often surprised by the actions of others due to our own naiveté/trusting nature. I also put the stickers on my helmet, thinking "if there's a cool photo of me, I'll order it". Then I received the unsolicited photos from Action Photo. Though, as Edman said, you're accepting their Ts & Cs by using the stickers (I can't remember the wording, but there was some sort of usage notice on the pack of stickers). So they can basically make their own rules.

Fair enough.

The problem is that I see this form of "sales" as dishonest. So, even if there are photos that I may have ended up ordering had they not forced them on me, I feel ripped off.

So I sent back the pack of photos. Oh, and I no longer use the stickers.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: They use this technique for other events too. I got a pack of photos from the Midmar Mile as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been battling to get my photos from the Knysna Cycle Tour by Action Photo for the last 3 days. They're quick to take my money after placing my order, but the download links to my photos in the email they sent me don't work. They just don't reply to the emails I've sent to all of their email addresses!

customerservice@actionphoto.net

info@actionphoto.net

etc

I'm going to have to call them which is flipping pathetic, considering they are an online company. Their lack of customer service makes Telkom look decent!

It used to be like that in the days before online orders. I would take them, scan them in and post them back. Naughty I know, but I'm not paying R50 a photo when they cost R2.50 to print and say R10 for the photographer.

Boy are your calculations flawed, never mind that the justification/excuse used sounds similar to the logic folk use for skipping a red light.

I've been battling to get my photos from the Knysna Cycle Tour by Action Photo for the last 3 days. They're quick to take my money after placing my order, but the download links to my photos in the email they sent me don't work. They just don't reply to the emails I've sent to all of their email addresses!

customerservice@actionphoto.net

info@actionphoto.net

etc

I'm going to have to call them which is flipping pathetic, considering they are an online company. Their lack of customer service makes Telkom look decent!

Agreed, bit of a joke really. It should be a case of pay for your order, go to your inbox, download the pics. Total duration: 3 minutes not 3 weeks.

Hi guys,

if you have a problem with images from Action Photo I would appreciate if you could drop me an email.

I will personally see that you query is attended to. My email is johanna@actionphoto.net

Hope to hear from you soon!!

Actionjo

Agreed, bit of a joke really. It should be a case of pay for your order, go to your inbox, download the pics. Total duration: 3 minutes not 3 weeks.

Hi guys,

if you have a problem with images from Action Photo I would appreciate if you could drop me an email.

I will personally see that you query is attended to. My email is johanna@actionphoto.net

Hope to hear from you soon!!

Actionjo

why are your digital images the same price or nearly the same price as your hard copies. I realize you in this to make money and have costs to cover. But emailing Jpegs to an email addy is seriously cheaper than having to print and post them. they should be half the price. Remember customers still need to cover the cost of printing should they want printa later on.

Me thinks Action Photo missed the boat on this one

why are your digital images the same price or nearly the same price as your hard copies. I realize you in this to make money and have costs to cover. But emailing Jpegs to an email addy is seriously cheaper than having to print and post them. they should be half the price. Remember customers still need to cover the cost of printing should they want printa later on.

Me thinks Action Photo missed the boat on this one

Thats true.

I have given up buying my photos, unless it is a brilliant one. But even then that happens so so seldom anyway.

Maybe you guys should even release low quality ones that are good enough for vleisboek, but not good enough for print at a really nice cheap price. (Like even as low as R5)

Ronelle does something similar to that, she has some nice pics, the quality is not huge, but good enough to put online etc. You can even buy her race CD I have seen before.

There will be far more sales then.

Most guys now days just want a small pic(s) to remind them of the race, but very few are going to print them all out now days.