Shimano pedals

With all the recent rain and bad weather in Cape Town, my pedals aren't what they supposed to be. I am busy browsing through the Shimano MTB series of pedals, but can't understand why I should buy the XT or PDM 540 when the weight and pretty much everyting else is almost exactely the same. Any ideas why I should buy the more expensive pedal?

Word is that the XTs have slightly better bearings...

I'd go for the 540s, you're going to be bashing them into rocks pretty soon anyway ;)

I got fedup with my Shimano's not functioning well in mud conditions and replaced it with Time ROC Atac Carbon pedals - what a difference, no hassles.

The biggest difference I could see between the two is that the axle of the one is black and that of the other is silver. Better bearings? I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar.

I would be interested to know this as well. When I was buying pedals I was told that the 540 (or was it 520, can't remember) did not have sealed bearing and the XTs did, I was actually advised to buy the Ryder SPDs because (apparently) at that price they are the only pedals with sealed bearings, they are also noticably lighter than the XTs (confirmed). But one year on the bearings are often making unhappy noises - for quite a while now, however, they come with a lifetime warranty so no harm done really.

The Shimano 540 and 770 (in other words, LX and XT) pedals have exactly the same pedal axle assemblies and thus the same bearings and races. The part numbers differ but the two y are completely interchangeable.

I suspect it is just the colour. I'm not a Shimano part number decipherer, but I suspect the differences in the code refer to the colour.

Look for the differences elsewhere, but they're not in the bearings.

I have the 520, cheap (paid R350 with cleats) and they come in black, silver or white. If you get these remember to try and find the tool so you can undo the assembly and service. There are apparently 62 little annoying bearings in the 520's! When I replaced my pedals (still waiting for the Shimano tool so I can service my old ones for spares) there was a biiiiig price difference between the Xt's and 520's and seeing how they all get banged up and scratched anyway I opted for the far cheaper 520's!

i'm not sure of all the details, but i'v been riding my 540's for 4 years now, and they still 100's.. i think the XT's are the same, just branded XT to match group set.... personally i prefer the non-series stuff/price.

Two words..... Crank Brothers! I am big on Shimano group sets, but hate their pedals. Mtb pedals (520 up to XTR) are heavy, mud collectors, ugly and tarnish quickly. I am so mad about CB, that I even use them on my road bike, awesome stuff! ;)

I wont lie, I'm sold on crank brothers too. My SPD's never really worked properly, Every time there was a bit of mud they went to s@!*. I've heard that the Crank brothers need more servicing, but they work so well that I dont care. Also, for example the Candy C's at around R300-R400 (I got mine for R210 on crc) weigh less than shimano xtr... and they are not even the lightest in the range.

I also just changed to crank bros. Haven't even ridden them in mud yet and I already love them!

The XT and XTR pedals are lighter then the 520/520 range. Not much but enough for them to mark it different. When they upgrade XTR it will tricle down the range. So this years XTR is 520 model in 5 years time.

I don't know how you guys ride your your bikes but my SPD pedals never get covered in mud just from riding. They do when I put my foot down in mud and then try to clip in. It's normally the cleat that is the problem, not the pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

Also curious about why so many people ride the SPD pedals. I always used Crank Brothers, and recently bought a set of 520s. I have to admit I am very underwhelmed, twice I've unclipped at inopportune moments (despite having a good amount of tension on the clip in stiffness) and they get clogged if you look at them funny. Suffice to say, I already have a set of Eggbeaters back on, and my problems are gone.