Still carryinng a inner tube spare on UST setup?

CJVDM

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still carry a inner tube spare with you on UST wheelsetup?

• No, i dont carry an inner tube
    • Yes, i do carry an inner tube as spare in case....

Since ive upgraded to UST wheelset, ive only carried my plugs and bombs along on rides. Havent even bothered to take a inner tube. Now ive heard some okes do still carry inner tubes as spares?

Do you? and if you do, pls let me know why.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still caryy a spare just in case and a R20 note with some thick plastic just in case a cut a side wall again.

I only carry a spare tube, no plugs. Just in case of a sidewall cut. On a really long ride I would maybe take some patches

I always carry a tube and had to use it for the 1st time on friday - got a huge nail thru my tyre and when I pulled it out the tyre broke its seal with the rim. Didn't have a CO2 bomb, so had to use a tube. If you get a sidewall cut in a ust setup plugs aren't going to work at all and you're going to have a long walk home!

I always carry a tube and had to use it for the 1st time on friday - got a huge nail thru my tyre and when I pulled it out the tyre broke its seal with the rim. Didn't have a CO2 bomb, so had to use a tube. If you get a sidewall cut in a ust setup plugs aren't going to work at all and you're going to have a long walk home!

I dont walk, i normally phone the wife to come fetch me :lol:

Ok, seems the overwhelming advise is to carry a spare. Now to clarify, once i fit a inner tube, (ive never seen the inside of my wheelset :blink: ) does your LBS have to do something special to make it UST again, since you basically ripping out the valve to fit the tube????

:unsure:

I only carry a spare tube, no plugs. Just in case of a sidewall cut. On a really long ride I would maybe take some patches

A plug is so much faster than fitting a new tube. I plugged my wheel in under 5 min last week, and it was my 1st time so i still had to follow the instructions. Im sure it can be done in under 2 min though.

Of course a sidewall tear is something completely different....

i carry a tube, plugs and patches. have used plugs and patches, once needed an R10 note for a sidewallcut. never needed the patches (other peoples' bikes don't count)

Those who carry money with them for sidewall cuts - pardon my ignorance, but do you just put the note in and kinna fold it around the inside of the wheel or do you have to stick it down?

I will always carry a tube, had to use it once before thanks to a side wall cut. Tube, plugs and CO2 bomb a must have and if you look at the extra weight - it sure is worth it, rather a few extra grams than having to walk a few km's.

Since ive upgraded to UST wheelset, ive only carried my plugs and bombs along on rides. Havent even bothered to take a inner tube. Now ive heard some okes do still carry inner tubes as spares?

Do you? and if you do, pls let me know why.

Yes, but never used it. *shrug*

A plug is so much faster than fitting a new tube. I plugged my wheel in under 5 min last week, and it was my 1st time so i still had to follow the instructions. Im sure it can be done in under 2 min though.Of course a sidewall tear is something completely different....

I'm a minimalist on the bike, so the less I carry with me the better and my tube is already taped to the seatpost. That's the only reason I don't take plugs with me

2x Tubes, plug & puncture kit, pump, and now some Park Tool Emergency Boots. Yes, I believe in comprehensive insurance and I can help out with a loan and not compromise myself.

Got one quite thin Specialized tube which does not take up much space (came from the UK) don't know if one can get them here but they are certainly a good idea as a spare.

I also carry a welding machine incase I crack the frame.............ok just a silly joke,yip the spare tube goes with! I weights nothing if you look at what it can do for do?

If im racing or sometimes riding with my light wheelset with normal tyres then I take a tube etc.

If im using the UST tyre training set, I dont even bother with any spares, tools or such. Maybe pepper spray and a phone

Yes ill be stranded someday, but I've payed it forward by giving other guys spares so I'm sure Karma will sort me out :P