for the sceptics

Tumbleweed

Tour can be won without doping, says French scientist

here's a snippet:

"When a professional cyclist arrives at the bottom of a hill, he has often not put in a lot of effort beforehand. It's a little bit like a hiker who walks for several hours and then, at the end, sprints to catch a bus," she said.

"During an effort of five hours, the riders are prepared to ride at heart rates of 110/120 beats per minute (low effort) with their team-mates but at the end of a race they put in a maximum effort.

"The hours on the flat are just a warm-up. Then there is one hour of intense effort, rather like the work put in by someone trying to break the hour record.

"But it would certainly be possible for a rider (like Rasmussen) to do that with good training, especially with a good team which could bring him to the foot of the climbs in a fresh condition."

read the whole thing at:

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/07/1998454.htm?section=world

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the chicken is racing again...in neutral clothes. Wonder wich team is going to sign him. I say......disco. Mud Dee2007-08-07 01:11:14

Well disco (usps before that) seems to be the home of so many dopers Chicken should fit in quite nicely.

Quite interesting that most disciples are adamant that la could do it clean, but not possible for anyone else ....

the afp story on the link i posted was cut.

this is how the story continuedm from where it left off:

Since Billat's laboratory in Evry, or LEPHE, was opened in the autumn of last year, the former cross country skier and runner has continually tried to illustrate that high level sports performers are often poorly-trained and that scientific methods would prepare athletes for top performances without doping.
She claims experiments with mice have shown those who train intelligently have nothing to envy in terms of performance compared to those mice who train with the help of doping products.
Former biathletes Raphael Poiree and his wife, Liv Grete, cyclists, French international rugby players and Paris Saint Germain footballers have all been customers of the LEPHE.
Kenya's Olympic 5,000m silver medallist from Athens, Isabellah Ochichi, said her medal was the product of the Billat method which consists of training using personal physiological training zones in terms of heart rate or pace.
She said it was important to get a personal training schedule for each athlete on an individual basis.
"Sports coaches often increase training volume without taking into account the particular strengths and weaknesses of the athlete," Billat continued. "This approach is not effective and sometimes harmful."
Billat has even helped those who have already used doping products, bringing controversy. "I am not in the business of judging but I will always ask these athletes to give up (doping) before working with them," she said.
"My scientific ethic is to help people progress without drugs and I will always try and help an athlete to stop doping."
She added if a person who had been suspended came to her laboratory, she would make them sign an ethics charter before offering them a personalised programme, adding there was no point demonising drug cheats.
"Either we put them all in prison or we try to gain their confidence but I believe in people. I have a good rapport with the World Anti-Doping Agency and the French anti-doping authorities but they are in the business of cracking down on athletes and expect me to denounce them too."

As far as the negative stuff goes, all I can say is thank God we're tested. When baseball players were charged with using steroids, what was their defense? Nothing.

Lance Armstrong

I am starting to feel very sceptical about Contador since he was with Manolo saiz as a junior in Once as well in Liberty seguros. What is the chance that he was not on a special program?

J?rg Jaksche says that "AC" in Puerto documents could be him.

Why else would disco have hired him if he did not dope? In case Basso got caught?

wonder if disco are up to something, especialy with Basso... before he signed he was caught/linked with Fuentes. Wouldn't  he test positive when at Disco?

She claims experiments with mice have shown those who train intelligently

Mice intelligent?

What is the world coming to?!

Here a curve ball ! Discovery or US postalhave never had a rider tested positive right but whe nthe riders leave they get get caught eg Tyler Hamilton(spelling), floyd Landis etc

MAybe they good at masking it

what you got against mice?

I'm just concerned when they train intelligently! Sounds like Pinky and the Brain all over again!!!

On the subject of rats and mice, dying to see Ratatouille!

Here a curve ball ! Discovery or US postalhave never had a rider tested positive right but whe nthe riders leave they get get caught eg Tyler Hamilton(spelling)' date=' floyd Landis etc

MAybe they good at masking it [/quote']

This is the logic used by most people, when discussing LA and his "Success"