Ride or Bicycling Mag?

Mr. G

What do you guys think, they cost the same but Ride comes out every month and Bicycling only every second month.

Ride is also a much fuller mag, and that's not just with ads.

Tread mag seems to be doing a great job too!

You want to know in which one to advertise right. Buycycling for the rich wannabees and Ride for cyclist.

I signed up for one of those sweatsafe bands and wound up with a free subscription to Bicycling, I also occasionally buy Ride and prefer that one to be honest. The Bicycling mag is more for affluent consumers (my personal opnion).

Just to add, I mailed ride mag by mistake to find out when the next 'ride before you buy' day was. They stll got back to me with the correct info to contact Bicycling mag and were super friendly.I then mailed Bicycling mag and have never heard a thing!

I like The Ride Journal - not an SA mag but the content is 1000000x better quality. Even the ads look good. I've often found Bicycling content to be badly written or poorly copy checked. There was an issue a few months back that was really really bad. The content is also stuffed with ads, contains ridiculous fashion shoots (see latest issue) and is generally bland.

Someone I know was featured in Bicycling last year (Hub regular) and they made up a load of garbage about her to fit some kind of demographic profile - made her older, gave her kids, invented a different job title etc. and then still used her real name in the article - all without notifying her they were going to completely alter the facts. Mystifying really, especially considering she is quite well known in cycling circles.

Oh, here's the Ride Journal site if you're interested, free pdf download to boot: http://www.theridejournal.com/

I have received a subscription from my gran for my bifday for Bicycling, so can't really bitch and moan as its free, but dammmit all they do is take the US version and add a small bit of local content, really doesn't appeal to me. There demographic is definitely higher, like roadies decked out in full Castelli :P But every issue is full of 'get fast now' tips etc, fine for beginners but seasoned cyclist would like something with a bit more depth to it, all in all a very shallow publication.

Ride I must applaud, they do very well to cover all cycling diciplines equally and produce locally relevant content without loads of ads, mag is quite thick page wise as well.

As an MTBér tread is my fav and I've met Donovan the other day, really nice guy. We had a great ride and he even gave me some old kit to give to needy riders and I got a Tread jersey as well B) So where do I sign up for that subscription again ?

I buy both and Tread, Tread wins hands down for me.

Bicycling is the same as menshealth, the same articles and tips repeated over and over just with a slightly different look.

I buy it to look at the pictures and the scratch and sniff section

I like The Ride Journal - not an SA mag but the content is 1000000x better quality. Even the ads look good. I've often found Bicycling content to be badly written or poorly copy checked. There was an issue a few months back that was really really bad. The content is also stuffed with ads, contains ridiculous fashion shoots (see latest issue) and is generally bland.

Someone I know was featured in Bicycling last year (Hub regular) and they made up a load of garbage about her to fit some kind of demographic profile - made her older, gave her kids, invented a different job title etc. and then still used her real name in the article - all without notifying her they were going to completely alter the facts. Mystifying really, especially considering she is quite well known in cycling circles.

Oh, here's the Ride Journal site if you're interested, free pdf download to boot: http://www.theridejournal.com/

Where do you buy this in SA?

Both are cool - usually buy Bicycling (more lasting value in my view) and will page thorugh Ride...also enjoy GoMulti.

I don't buy any of those two. I buy TREAD. But if I was still doing some road cycling I would definitely go for Ride above Bicycling.