Help with Polar power meter

alan4251

Hi All,

I need advise on a Polar power meter. Is it worth the money and how well do they work. I have the Polar CS600X with all the other sensors. Does it really make such a big difference with your training and pacing yourself while racing.

I ride with the Polar power meter,

It a little all over the place with the only real item that is useful is the average at the end of your session. Luckily mine came on a second hand bike, the previous owner, had given up on riding, so I did not really pay for it.

Lets see some of the sensitivity that is strange:

There is a large delay on the thing, pedal force to reference on the guide is between 3 and 5 secs apart...as it works on averages for the given time period.

certain gears, give 20 - 30 % better or worse power outputs with only a 1 % change in cadence and say 5 % change in ratio,

It is still useful tho,

My advice: So if you going to spend anything on the power meters srm is the best way.

I ride with the Polar power meter,

It a little all over the place with the only real item that is useful is the average at the end of your session. Luckily mine came on a second hand bike, the previous owner, had given up on riding, so I did not really pay for it.

Lets see some of the sensitivity that is strange:

There is a large delay on the thing, pedal force to reference on the guide is between 3 and 5 secs apart...as it works on averages for the given time period.

certain gears, give 20 - 30 % better or worse power outputs with only a 1 % change in cadence and say 5 % change in ratio,

It is still useful tho,

My advice: So if you going to spend anything on the power meters srm is the best way.

cool thanks for the advice but i have just upgraded my crank set to a Sram red, so for me to go to srm will mean a new crank set again.

cool thanks for the advice but i have just upgraded my crank set to a Sram red, so for me to go to srm will mean a new crank set again.

You can also get the quarq that comes with a SRAM crank. It a bit less than a SRM but works just as well.

The Polar power meeter is a bit "Italian tempered". :blink: :lol:

If you get get one for cheap cheap, R500 or so, get it and start playing with data and get used to what is wat surrounding data.

From there you can then go for the big upgrade, Quarq, SRM, Powertap, Metrigear etc.

You can also get the quarq that comes with a SRAM crank. It a bit less than a SRM but works just as well.

Thats cool but will it work with my Polar because it does not come with a reading device.

Here's a good article comparing the SRM, Powertap and Polar: http://biketechreview.com/reviews/power-meters/61-power-meter-review

It's a bit old, so it doesn't have the latest ANT+ versions, but the sections on installation, accuracy etc. should still be vaild as the basic form and measuring technology of the three has not changed significantly. The CS600 also records at 1s intervals, rather than the 5s of their Polar. 1s recording is essential to properly use some of the power analysis measures such as TSS, NP etc. (see below).

If you're considering spending the (not insignificant) money on a power meter, you would do well to buy this book first: http://www.kalahari.net/books/Training-and-Racing-with-a-Power-Meter/632/34547815.aspx

It covers the details of training with power and will allow you to get the most benefit from a power meter (or allow you to decide you don't need one). This new edition also has a section comparing the features of all the power meters currently on the market.

Here's a good article comparing the SRM, Powertap and Polar: http://biketechreview.com/reviews/power-meters/61-power-meter-review

It's a bit old, so it doesn't have the latest ANT+ versions, but the sections on installation, accuracy etc. should still be vaild as the basic form and measuring technology of the three has not changed significantly. The CS600 also records at 1s intervals, rather than the 5s of their Polar. 1s recording is essential to properly use some of the power analysis measures such as TSS, NP etc. (see below).

If you're considering spending the (not insignificant) money on a power meter, you would do well to buy this book first: http://www.kalahari.net/books/Training-and-Racing-with-a-Power-Meter/632/34547815.aspx

It covers the details of training with power and will allow you to get the most benefit from a power meter (or allow you to decide you don't need one). This new edition also has a section comparing the features of all the power meters currently on the market.

cool thanks for the advice will look at this option first before i go out and buy one.

Power is not really like heart rate in that your average doesn't tell you much. It's useful once you use it properly and find your threshold and to measure your improvement. Try to read up about it before investing heavily. The Polar does work, but I have killed two of them before switching to a PowerTap. The Polar sometimes has 'drift' where some gears show values higher than real and this can be annoying. Not sure if it is due to a dirty chain or other vibrations, but in the end I found it too cumbersome. Personally I would rather find a cheap secondhand PowerTap wheel + system as it is more robust.