Swim Training - Tygervalley

Hi Guys,

I am looking for 2 or 3 folks who would like to join in for swim training - specifically for IronMan next year. I have a coach who is willing to coach us, 1 lesson a week for an hour (+-R400 per month). This will be offered at Virgin Active Tygervalley.

This training is aimed at stroke correction, which is vital in swimming the 3.9km in IronMan events, and still saving energy for the cycle and run legs that lie ahead. ie. effieciency!!!

The stroke correction training comes with a training program.

Please pm me ASAP if you are interested. Training to hopefully start in the next few weeks.

Check out a technique called "Total Immersion" - they also teach it here in CT, you may have to Google a bit. It's a very different style; there's no pulling involved, it's like you're punching your way through the water and using the twist of your body. It's way, way, way faster than the old method, and a lot less tiring.

Agreed... "total immersion" is very effective for pool swimming, however the technique differs substantially for open water swimming. In saying that, some of the T.I methods are used, but it's not wholly sufficient.

Would have been nice, but +-R400 plus gym fees is a bit steep for me at this stage. Anybody know of a place in northern burbs to swim that does not require me to join a gym (similar to pool at top of long street) or maybe reduced fee for swim only?

I'm interested.

But I can only go off-peak, thus weekdays from 9am to 4pm (to enter the gym), but anytime over weekends.

How swimming fit do you have to be for this class?

Hey andydude. there is no required level of fitness needed. the coach is going to help us to get our strokes correct. i haven't had a swim since IronMan and then had a Mtb crash. so far there are 4 of us interested. i'll get details from the coach and jou you guys no what's happening. will be off peak hours - probably sat afternoon. details to follow soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Agreed... "total immersion" is very effective for pool swimming, however the technique differs substantially for open water swimming. In saying that, some of the T.I methods are used, but it's not wholly sufficient.

Hi, great idea to get a group together, it always helps to train as a group. With regards to Total Immersion it is actually very suited to open water and triathlon swimming perhaps more so than pool swimming with lots of attention given to efficiency and energy saving. The technique focussed workshops are designed to teach adults, particularly novice triathletes, open water swimmers and swimmers who have found their swimming has reached a plateau. But don’t take my word for it check out the testimonials from swimmers who have done a workshop: http://www.totalimmersionsa.co.za/testimonials.html