Alleged loss of pedal cycle at Chapmans Peak

WERNER WIEHART

Good evening fellow hubbers!

I would like to establish whether any of you have been training in the area of Chapmans Peak on Saturday, 26 June 2010 at approx 09:30 and may have found a cyclist who may have claimed that his pedal cycle has fallen over a rail at the lower part of Chapmans Peak whilst mother nature called. Please advise me also whether the wind did in fact blow. I was on the road myself but have not experienced any wind that may have caused a pedal cycle to fly over the barrier. I would truly appreciate your assistance before we engage in the mountain climbing exercise.

Kind regards

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to establish whether any of you have been training in the area of Chapmans Peak on Saturday, 26 June 2010 at approx 09:30 and may have found a cyclist who may have claimed that his pedal cycle has fallen over a rail at the lower part of Chapmans Peak whilst mother nature called. Please advise me also whether the wind did in fact blow. I was on the road myself but have not experienced any wind that may have caused a pedal cycle to fly over the barrier. I would truly appreciate your assistance before we engage in the mountain climbing exercise.

Kind regards

The wind was howling in Hout Bay on Saturday - quite possible. He is lucky - I thought my roof was headed that way at one point.

I guess that you are working for an insurance company and want to retreive the said pedal cycle.

You better hurry as there are a few Hubbers ahead of you :)

Hi

I rode saturday from town out to Noordhoek farm village - The wind was pumping.

I have had to in the past get off and push for fear of being blown off, and that was sitting on the bike.

my 2cents worth - it is more than possible for a bike to have been blown over.

Kind regards

If its an insurance claim then jusy pay the dude out!! The wind was really bad there.

Guest Anon(yMous)

I would love to know the story behind this question...

+1

+1 on the wind. I was in Hout Bay at that time and decided not to go up Chappies because of the wind. Heading back along Victoria road a bit later I almost came to a stop on the downhill sections!

A guy parks his bike up against a railing and goes to answer the call of nature. The wind comes up, lifts his 8kg(or so) machine, with no surface areas that can actually catch the wind, over this railing that is probably 1 meter high and drops it to the depths below.

His story is so unlikely it probably is likely. If I were an insurance assessor, this guy would have a hard time convincing me of his story.

Other than hurricane force winds, there is no ways that wind will lift a bike over a railing.

Unless he parked his bike on the cliff side of the railing, in which case the insurers should refuse payment for stupidity.

The papers did report a bike blowing over the edge during the 2009 Argus. Carbon would crack, steel would rust, ali would dent ... damn, not much point now really.

Hi Sexy Legs, unfortunately I am not able to assist in this riddle, however I am curious if you are male or female. In the case of the latter, please post a pic of those legs, and maybe you will get a far greater response in your search for this Flying Dutch... sorry pedal cycle! :P

Kind regards

you sound like the green insurance company with the cover over everything in adverts. Only you guys will call it a peddle cycle as its stated like that under my insurance shedule aswell.

not quite sure of the bike being flung over the guard rail though, seems plausible but not really believeable however i also have to admit that flukes do happen. Look at what happened to another hubber just about nearly having his leg chopped off by a truck & the series of murphys laws that nailed him in that incident. not too mention the blood all over his bike & a couple of stitches later. Pretty lucky to be alive id say