How to stay fit?

I hurt my ankle with action cricket and haven't been able to run or cycle for more than 4 weeks now. I can't use the stepper or eliptical trainer at the gym and also can't swim.

What can I do to stay fit?

The only thing I can do is sit still on a rowing machine and row, but that's only upper body and can get really boring.

(NOt maried, so I can't do that other thing as well :( )

The only thing I can do is sit still on a rowing machine and row, but that's only upper body and can get really boring.

Hey Stewie, last week I tried soemthing new on the rowing machine...My tong het op die grond gesleep - en dit was net 10min!

AT the moment I'm doing full body strength training 3 times a week with a legit core session each time. Will be swopping some of those sessions with pilates or yoga from next week, as I'm starting to look like a body builder.

MJ, I know the rowing can be lekker tough, but I'll only be using my arms. Can't use my legs to go back and forth. Maar dis seker maar al wat ek kan doen.

AT the moment I'm doing full body strength training 3 times a week with a legit core session each time. Will be swopping some of those sessions with pilates or yoga from next week, as I'm starting to look like a body builder.

MJ, I know the rowing can be lekker tough, but I'll only be using my arms. Can't use my legs to go back and forth. Maar dis seker maar al wat ek kan doen.

Swem?

Dude! Rowing is a full body exercise with about 75% of your power being generated from the lower body... Most people think rowing is a pull. Rowing is a push.

To get the lower part of your body working hang on with your arms as you press your legs flat then you let momentum bring your arms through

Thing is, I'll have to row without moving my legs. As soon as I use my legs, my ankle twists and it hurts.

So basically, it's just my arms going back and forth.

go and give the swim another go, you cant go wrong here, cardio and upper body building whilst hardly any stress on joints etc. and you will be amazed how quick you settle into the routine, however difficult it appears upfront

Gain good advice from trainers. Initially, you must warm-up yourself and always do stretching before any fitness activity to prepare yourself for exercise. Stretching too after workout promotes better motion of your joints.

Aside from focusing on getting a good exercise, it is important to have a well-balanced diet. You can even exercise at home by keeping yourself busy with household chores, that's a good way to start your day right ;)

stove for sale

built in bbq grills

@Tjokkits, I can't swim because, weirdly, that's the excersice that hurts my ankle the most. The doctor also suggested it and I know it's probably the best excersice for people with injuries, but not in my case.

@jeofjingjeff, did you reply to the right thread. My problem is trying to stay fit while injured, because I have a big race coming up in October and at the moment I'm losing all my fitness.

I would strongly suggest pilates and power joga. You'll be surprised how much that will help you. Good luck in any case

@Tjokkits, I can't swim because, weirdly, that's the excersice that hurts my ankle the most. The doctor also suggested it and I know it's probably the best excersice for people with injuries, but not in my case.

@jeofjingjeff, did you reply to the right thread. My problem is trying to stay fit while injured, because I have a big race coming up in October and at the moment I'm losing all my fitness.

I dont think you're supposed to be kicking??? Try put one of those 8-shaped polystirene thinggies between ur knees.. just arms then. Works well. Also backstroke the same way. If you can get/borrow a waistband swim support, you can 'water jog'.(have a look in your gym at the swimming gear.. sometimes trainers leave their equipment there and you can borrow it.) Brilliant for most leg injuries, and you dont feel completely useless only using your arms. You might even get a sweat outside of the sauna!

And... if its your ankle... what about a spinning bike? As long as it just doesnt move sideways or not?

If your ankle is hurting from kicking while swimming try using a pull bouy that you clamp between your legs! it keeps your legs stationary but you can still get the full benefit from the cardio workout and it helps with your technique too