Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Hi guys

New to this forum - didn't know about it till now. Im an MTB biker from Durban. Anyways quick question - I ordered a Tacx trainer and Tacx trainer tyre from CRC. I didnt even twig about the import duties till now. ordered on the 18th and still waiting. Would I pay import duties on theses items? I assume not the tyre as it is free on the import duties list but not sure about the trainer. According to section 95.06 of the import duties list Article and equipment for general fitness and excercise - all the items are classified as free. I assume it would be under "other" in that table. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disregard the above, items arrived today. Box is a little banged up. Good news is I only paid VAT. So all in al I saved R500 compared to buying local.

Stop trying to figure this out. with our SARS its a lottery. I know bib purchases (yes part of a larger order) that paid no duties (except vat) ... ? so you either pay or you dont.

my worst experience so far : bought haws and curtis shirts from london, something like buy 1 get 2 free ... 1 shirt costs 60gbp, but because of this "special" you get 3 shirts for 60gbp. however when my friends at SARS customs opened the packets, each shirt said 60gbp, so i got taked on 180gbp worth of shirts, evern though i only paid 60gbp ... needeless to say these are the 3 most expensive shirts that i own ...

Im looking at buying a powertap for R7500 from CRC how much extra do you think I will have to pay once it arrives in SA on Duties and remember i don't pay for shipping as its free for any purchase over R3000. Last thing what is the expected Shipping time to SA? :unsure:

I just paid VAT. CRC had stock issues when I wanted to order so I bought from these guys - http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/cycleops---powertap-21-c.asp Wheel arrived in a couple of days without any issues and cheaper than CRC.

• 4 weeks later...

hi

who was the expert I should speak to again on thehub in regards of import duties

Can anyone assist - what would the duties be on a bikebox/bag. I tried to search the 975 page document above but couldn't find it. Or a pointer to a more user friendly version on the web??

• 1 month later...

Any idea what codes or % i would pay if i bring in a bike rack?

Just VAT on the bike rack I think. I wouldn't mind bringing in a Thule Euroway G2 923

These prices look good. Anyone know what they cost here? Maybe we can get a better deal on shipping if we order a couple

http://www.veclo.com/en/Fietsdrager-Thule-Euroway-G2-923-3-fietsen-001-44274/?gclid=COX0xcvWiKoCFcIkpAodYQnezw

http://www.skidrive.co.uk/cycle/product_detail.php?partno=923000&gclid=CJPqxc7WiKoCFUolpQod8mGtzg

Section 87.14 contains the good news (no charges at all).

That's the problem - tyres get their own section, lights, clothing, shoes etc.

Best bet is to search for "bicycle", or failing that, "sport" or "pedal".

The other catch is depending where the stuff is coming from. Bikes from the EU are charged at 5.7%, whereas if they come from the US it's 15%...

It's handy to know how much you should be paying as often Customs will overcharge (as in the cases of bike above).

You will need to provide a Certificate or Origin (COO) to use this rate. I once asked CRC if they could provide a COO for a Cube bike. They said that they could not. I guess it's all made in the east and only assembled in the EU. :D