Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

I ordered a few parts from CRC, its the first time I've used DHL and also the first time that I've had customs issues... I've never had to pay duties on any of the other stuff I ordered.

This time I odered a bb, chain, cassette, and some brake components....

I hope that tax is the only thing I'm going to have to worry about? Are there other freaky duties thats going to turn this its a bigilion moneys bill?

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered a few parts from CRC, its the first time I've used DHL and also the first time that I've had customs issues... I've never had to pay duties on any of the other stuff I ordered.

This time I odered a bb, chain, cassette, and some brake components....

I hope that tax is the only thing I'm going to have to worry about? Are there other freaky duties thats going to turn this its a bigilion moneys bill?

Nope, there shouldn't be any duties. I took DHL on about it, and they reversed it today. You're going to get billed DHL's R150 disbursement fee in addition to VAT, just be aware of that.

Hi guys, has anyone had any experience with importing an indoor trainer, and if so, did you encounter any additional customs charges?

Nope, there shouldn't be any duties. I took DHL on about it, and they reversed it today. You're going to get billed DHL's R150 disbursement fee in addition to VAT, just be aware of that.

You right, only ended up paying tax on disimbursment fee.

I was looking at getting a set of Shimano MTB shoes from them but with the 40% duty I'm thinking Im better of getting it here.

• 1 month later...

@#$, DHL just sent me an invoice with both CD (customs duties) and VAT amounts of about 15% each on a set of cranks and chainring.

Have queried it with them, but it really annoys me that they get it wrong in the first place. Surely they do this stuff all the time and shouldn't be making these kinds of mistakes? a R1k bill on R3.4k worth of cranks would be lunacy.

Was about to ask if it's still 0% for cycling components... guess not?

Edit: And reading a bit on I see it is. Yay! :D

Edited by r0adrunner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, has anyone had any experience with importing an indoor trainer, and if so, did you encounter any additional customs charges?

Did you end up importing one?

Did you end up importing one?

Yeah, I ended up ordering one from Bike24. There were no additional duties over and above the 15%, and the trainer was delivered within about a week and a half.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious. Seems like 29er tyres are getting more and more expensive these days and I have never imported my own because I thought one needed an Import Permit , like for Car tyres. Turns out you don't and they are Duty Free, so I am thinking of going out there are ordering a bunch. Perhaps for re-sale as well.

Just FYI - I ordered two Conti touring tyres (so hard to find a selection here in CPT) from ProBikeKit in the UK on Dec. 3rd (so in the Christmas crunch). Delivered to CPT Dec. 27 - total charges about ZAR200. Tyre price was GBP15 X2 + GBP8 shipping (post).

I may make another post or two once I've reached the end of this thread, but since I have such a hard time finding any sort of tyre selection here in CPT (such as no road tyres between 23mm and 32mm) I'm mostly ordering from away to get items I can't find here.

Here's my recent (Dec 2013) info on SA imports. I grew up in Canada, moved the the US and then the UK. I come to SA a couple of times a year and keep bikes with friends at various locations to ride when I'm able to. So I've bought/imported parts from/to US/UK and SA.

So far, for SA parts (wheels, tyres, chainset, BB and an entire Tiagra groupset) I've ordered from CRC, ProBikeKit, Evans, PlanetX and a few others. Post takes about a month. A cheap (GBP80) Shimano wheelset from CRC took four weeks and cost me ZAR250 (IRC). Box was pristine despite coming via post.

UPS shipments come in about ten days. They actually arrive in as little as three days, but then SARS takes its time to release them. I don't think SARS actually inspects any of the couriered goods (unless they suspect some problem) but rely on the declared info for expediency. In the case of UPS, once the package is released, you start a dance of sorts. UPS called me and then sent a photo of the duty/VAT invoice. I had to do a transfer to allow its release and then delivery was the usual "Can't say when" timeframe - best to use a commercial address unless someone is home all day. But it's quicker and more secure than post - also trackable the whole way. So for expensive stuff, I'd use UPS (or FedEx or DHL).

BTW - the import charge for the Tiagra 10-spd groupset was ZAR650. Groupset (compact) was GBP235 + GBP16 for UPS. Hard to beat.

I have also ordered from CRC to the US. This was more expensive (Easton) wheels. CRC shipped them free, I saved the UK VAT and the USA charged me nothing when they arrived. Quite a bit of bike kit (esp. clothing and shoes) is less expensive in Europe than the US, though.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

i know this has nothing to do with Import duties, but i was wondering if any of you might know where the thread is which discusses bringing a bike down from Josie to CT. Cycle lab and the local post office was mentioned.

i would appreciate it very much if you could post the link to the specific thread here..

thanks

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Was wondering with all the new laws and the age of this thread to confirm that bike components are still duty free?

Planning on ordering a handlebar and a toolkit from CRC and unsure on what import duties are at the moment?

Has anyone ordered anything lately?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I am looking at importing a set of rims from Germany. what kind of fees can I expect to pay once it lands in South Africa so I can determine whether its worthwhile purchasing (not that I have choice as SA does not stock what I am looking for). Just don't want to end up with a shock and end up paying extra thousand etc. for import duty, SARS, etc

Hi All

I am looking at importing a set of rims from Germany. what kind of fees can I expect to pay once it lands in South Africa so I can determine whether its worthwhile purchasing (not that I have choice as SA does not stock what I am looking for). Just don't want to end up with a shock and end up paying extra thousand etc. for import duty, SARS, etc

Only VAT. What rims are you looking at? We might be cheaper...