Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Hi All

What are import duties on indoor trainers , is it only VAT or is their an additional fee.

thanks

If you are clever, it’s always 0% ????

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the local increase in VAT, is the new total price calculation as follows:

TP = (Item price + duty) x 1.164

VAT factor is 1.165 not 1.164.

Not that it makes a lot of difference.

VAT factor is 1.165 not 1.164.

Not that it makes a lot of difference.

Thanks. I based the calculation on what was available in the first post on this thread. While 0.001 will make a difference, as you say, it won't be that significant in the scheme of things

Did you ever find out the duty on helmets?

25%

Tariff heading 6506.10.90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With 14% VAT I always added 15.4% to purchase price ex postage. By my new calculations it should be 16.5% now, ex postage and ex bank 3-4% charged by some banks for international online transactions.

Duties = Customs Value * applicable rate

ATV = [(Customs Value + 10%) + Applicable duties]* 15%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Had the very same thing and it took 4 days for any tracking info updates, but they did eventually happen. Contacted CRC before the updates showed and they essentially asked me to be patient.

The down side is I found out today SkyNet's import handling fee is significantly higher than DHL at R350. My CRC invoice was not particularly massive (well at least I don't think so), so I suspect it's a flat rate.

Requests from SkyNet for an explanation of how the fee is calculated has so far fallen on deaf ears.

I had the same experience with skynet(R350 handling fee). they took 2 weeks to get my parcel from CRC to me AFTER it was released from customs.

Their customer service and call center operators are clueless

Hi all,

Anyone brought in bike tools from CRC/Merlin/etc. ?

Not sure what category this would fall under... can anyone confirm what the duties on bike tools would be?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have the exact customs code for LED bike lights?

I have only paid VAT + 1% and a handling fee to SAPO in the past.

I am currently dealing with an LED light worth R513 that is being detained at customs in JHB - had to provide proof of purchase and payment etc. It only took a few days to get from China to JHB via Aramex Global Shopper and then came to a halt at JHB international customs.

I did provide the correct invoice initially To Aramex but JHB international customs detained my shipment.

An Aramex representative e-mailed me on 19 June with a reminder that I had 48h to submit the required documentation (after waiting since 08 June)

Buyer beware

Edited by goatman

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at purchasing the Vitus Energie Carbon CR Rival from CRC.  (Looks like a very good deal!)

I see the cost to deliver to SA is  200 pounds more from delivering to UK.  From the above advice I can then add another +- 35% for customs, VAT and duties.

That totals to an additional R11 000.  Am I better off just to fly to the UK for less and bring back my 'used' bike.  

Coming from the UK, I would incur no other real costs!

Does anyone have the exact customs code for LED bike lights?

I have only paid VAT + 1% and a handling fee to SAPO in the past.

I am currently dealing with an LED light worth R513 that is being detained at customs in JHB - had to provide proof of purchase and payment etc. It only took a few days to get from China to JHB via Aramex Global Shopper and then came to a halt at JHB international customs.

I did provide the correct invoice initially To Aramex but JHB international customs detained my shipment.

An Aramex representative e-mailed me on 19 June with a reminder that I had 48h to submit the required documentation (after waiting since 08 June)

Buyer beware

SA customs finally released my light on 25 June with no duties/handling fee payable!